Prosper Canada is seeking volunteers for its Board of Directors
Who we are
Founded in 1986, Prosper Canada is a national charity dedicated to expanding economic opportunity for Canadians living in poverty through program and policy innovation. As Canada’s leading national champion of financial empowerment, we work with government, business, and community partners to develop and promote financial policies, programs and resources that transform lives and foster the prosperity of all Canadians. Over the past 6 years, with partners from all sectors, we have helped 764,000+ people with low incomes to build their financial capability and health and connected them to over $1 billion in new income.
As an organization, we embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion as a source of strength and strive to create a collaborative and forward-thinking culture where all feel valued and respected. Our financial empowerment efforts focus on equity-seeking groups, including people with low incomes, Indigenous Peoples, members of racialized communities, newcomers and people living with disabilities.
We are currently seeking candidates to fill up to 3 positions on our Board of Directors. The ideal candidate is passionate about reducing disparities in financial inclusion, opportunity, and health in Canada and ensuring all Canadians have access to the financial products, services, and advice they need to achieve financial wellbeing. They are also experienced and adept at working at a strategic and policy level, have prior non-profit Board experience and/or governance training, and are open to supporting organizational fundraising efforts.
To complement the current make-up of the Board, candidates would bring one or more of following perspectives, skills, and/or experiences to our work:
- Community financial empowerment leadership: You are a community non-profit leader who has demonstrated strategic skills and is active in helping to grow and develop Canada’s financial empowerment field provincially and/or nationally.
- Federal government experience/network: You have served in the federal government in a political or civil service capacity and/or have an extensive federal government network that includes relevant departments and agencies (e.g. ESDC, CRA, Finance, FCAC, PMO)
- Member of an Indigenous community: You are a member of a First Nation, Inuit or Métis community with a passion for building financial capability and opportunity for Indigenous Peoples.
- Member of an equity seeking group: You are a member of an equity-seeking population – e.g., someone with lived experience of poverty, person living with a disability, member of a racialized community, LGBT2S, woman, and/or a newcomer.
- Resident of a province other than Ontario: You live in Quebec, the west, the Territories, or the Maritimes and would help to bring another regional perspective to our Board.
Our Board of Directors is a policy board focused on strategy, policies, financial stewardship, and organizational sustainability. To learn more about the roles and responsibilities of our Board members, please see our Board of Directors Overview.
How to apply
Please email a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 21, 2023, with the subject line “Prosper Canada Board Applicant” and a cover letter telling us:
- Why you wish to join Prosper Canada’s Board of Directors
- What you feel you would contribute in terms of relevant perspectives, skills, and experience
- Your prior non-profit governance experience and/or training.