Chief Executive Officer
The Valley Regional Hospital Foundation is seeking a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to lead the Foundation team and fundraising activities. Reporting to the Board of Directors through the President (Chair), the CEO will be responsible for all aspects of the organization’s day to day functioning.
The CEO will be instrumental in implementing, leading, building, expanding, and managing the day-to-day operational effectiveness, fundraising capacity, and community awareness of the Valley Regional Hospital Foundation. The successful candidate will provide leadership in developing linkages with corporations, community groups, and individuals with a view to cultivating financial and other support for capital needs, major gifts, legacy giving, is support of the Valley Regional Hospital.
ABOUT VALLEY REGIONAL HOSPITAL
The Valley Regional Hospital serves over 100,000 residents from Windsor to Digby. It is the second largest regional hospital in the province. It is home to over 110 physicians and close to 1500 employees. Valley Regional Hospital opened in 1992 to serve the residents of the Annapolis Valley. As part of Nova Scotia Health, Valley Regional Hospital is a regional referral centre for the western zone of the province, and offers a wide range of healthcare services, including Medicine and Surgery, Diagnostic Imaging, Women and Children’s Health, Intensive Care and Emergency, and Mental Health and Addictions.
ABOUT VALLEY REGIONAL HOSPITAL FOUNDATION
Our Board’s objective is to ensure that the funds entrusted to us are used to better the delivery of care. We invest every donation with integrity to support the highest quality healthcare for our community.
It is because of our generous donors that we have the exceptional service provided at Valley Regional Hospital, which is a centre of care and compassion.
Valley Regional Hospital Foundation is an independent charity established to foster a culture of sustained giving in support of healthcare in the Annapolis Valley. Since 1985, Valley Regional Hospital Foundation has provided over $18 million to improve healthcare in the Annapolis Valley with the generosity of donors in our community.
Currently, the Foundation raises about $1 million per year. We recently completed a $2.5 million capital campaign to fund a new CT Scanner. In the past few months, we have also completed a strategic plan, as well as a major gift fundraising plan.
We have a team of 6 employees, who work closely with Foundation Board members and other volunteers, as well as colleagues at the Hospital, to raise money for in support of the Hospital’s needs. We have worked hard to professionalize our operations and feel ready to take the Foundation to the next level under the direction of the new Chief Executive Officer.
- Strategic Planning & Governance
- Impact Report
- Audited Financial Statement 2021-2022
- VRHF News
- Foundation Events
- Foundation History
- Have it All in Annapolis
- Physician Recruitment Initiative videos
- Physicians have it all in the Annapolis Valley video
- Medical Learners have it all in the Annapolis Valley video
- We are deeply grateful for the many forms of support we receive from donors, sponsors, volunteers, and the community, and strive to acknowledge contributions in ways that are personal and meaningful.
- We conduct ourselves with integrity by honoring and respecting the commitment of all donors, friends, partners, employees, and volunteers to the Foundation ensuring we are truthful and honest in our work to serve our community.
- We are guided by mutual respect in interactions with our donors, board members, volunteers, hospital staff, physicians, and the community.
- We are proactive and resourceful in finding ways to achieve our goals, remain current, and meet the needs of the Annapolis Valley community.
- We work collaboratively with our partners and the community by having open and transparent communication to develop mutually beneficial solutions that will ignite and inspire the power of philanthropy.
Valley Regional Hospital Foundation is dedicated to enhancing healthcare in the Annapolis Valley. Thousands of residents in our communities benefit from the generosity of our donors.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate with the Board of Directors in implementing the vision and strategic plan to guide the Foundation, directing and overseeing short and long-term goals
- Confer with the Board of Directors regarding governance training, processes, and issues
- As a de-facto member of all Board committees, provide guidance and assistance to all standing and special committees of the Board of Directors in achieving their objectives and providing resources as required
- Foster effective teamwork among the Board, staff, and external stakeholders
Donor and Resource Development
- Manage long term, sustainable funding strategies and initiatives relating to major donors, legacy giving and annual fundraising
- Working with the Fundraising staff team, guide and oversee campaign plans and fundraising approaches along with evaluating results
- Identify, develop and foster relationships with potential and existing major donors
- Serve as the primary link between donors, the public and the Board
- Foster relationships with hospital auxiliaries and foundations, formal/informal community groups, hospital personnel, and the Nova Scotia Health Authority
- Oversee the design and implementation of communications and public relations programs to advance the image and recognition of the Foundation in the media and community
- Maintain a high profile in the community through active involvement in community and social organizations to promote support for the Foundation
- Lead the Foundation to promote philanthropy within the greater community
- Engage and build strong relationships through the community
- Represent the Foundation at community events and at industry gatherings
Human Resources Planning and Management
- Lead, manage, supervise, and serve as a coach and mentor to team members, ensuring they have clear objectives, understand expectations, and have the information, tools, and skills to be successful
- Manage people-related processes including recruitment, training, performance appraisals, compensation, training and development planning, retention, and personnel issues
- Communicate with Foundation directors and committees to develop, recognize, and motivate volunteers
Operational Planning and Management
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the Foundation
- Monitor and ensure Foundation staff and volunteers maintain all key operating programs in accordance with the law and operational and financial policies of the Foundation
- Ensure all organizational best practices adhere to the Donor Bill of Rights
- Develop and implement policies and guidelines to support the Foundation’s operations
Financial Planning and Management
- Prepare annual revenue projections and expense budgets
- Manage approved budgets and provide regular reports to the Board of Directors
- Maintain complete financial, statistical, and accounting records for required time periods as determined by CRA
- Identify, evaluate, and implement measures to control the risks to the Foundation
- Maintain the Risk Management plan in consultation with the Board of Directors
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- A minimum of 5 years of professional fundraising experience and/or a combination of volunteer and work experience in a fundraising capacity
- Ability to develop and maintain productive interpersonal relationships with staff, donors, the public, businesses, volunteers, health care administrations, and professional staff
- Exposure to and experience working with a governance/policy Board of Directors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong professional ethics and a commitment to confidentiality
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively, analyze data and effectively assess risk and opportunity
- Positive track record of effective personnel management and team leadership
- Demonstrated passion for healthcare philanthropy with experience working in a healthcare environment is considered an asset. Knowledge of the health care system and rural environments is desirable
- CFRE designation preferred but not required for applicants
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of Valley Regional Hospital Foundation. For more information about this opportunity, please contact Ellie Rusonik, Vice President, KCI Search + Talent, by email at VRHF@kcitalent.com
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Interested candidates should send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by June 5, 2023.
To view the full Executive Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
Please note that the salary range for this position is $128,500 – $160,600 and includes NSHEPP and comprehensive health benefits.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the position.