Development Associate, Major Gifts
UHN Foundation raises funds for research, education and the enhancement of patient care at Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital and Toronto Rehabilitation Institute as well as their respective research arms (Krembil Research Institute, McEwen Stem Cell Institute, Toronto General Hospital Research Institute and KITE) and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The Hospitals and the Research Institutes are members of University Health Network (UHN), which also includes Princess Margaret Cancer Centre. UHN is a major landmark in Canada´s healthcare system and a teaching hospital of the University of Toronto. Building on the strengths of this remarkable hospital network, the organization brings together the talent and resources that make it an international leader in healthcare. Toronto General Hospital is ranked #5 on the list of the World’s Best Hospitals, the only Canadian hospital to be included in the top 10. Additionally, for the twelfth year in a row, UHN is ranked #1 in the list of Canada’s Top 40 Research Hospitals. The Foundation´s vision and mission is to enable global leadership and innovation in health by developing strong relationships with UHN stakeholders. We are committed to supporting UHN’s vision to create a healthier world by embodying our values of integrity, accountability, collaboration and inclusion.
The incumbent will be part of the successful development and implementation of significant major gift fundraising at the $100,000+ to $1M+ level, and will actively support two experienced front line fundraising staff with their fundraising responsibilities. We are seeking a self-starting individual with aptitude and passion for supporting their colleagues, and who demonstrates excellent attention to detail, communication and relationship-building skills. Interaction with medical leaders, clinician partners and volunteers, including engaged Board Champions, will be ongoing. Experience with the Raiser’s Edge donor database is an asset for this position.
In addition, the Development Associate role will be called on to assist others in the department and the Foundation from time to time and must possess the ability to work as an active team member, while remaining cognizant of his/her primary role. The successful candidate will be a mature, energetic, versatile individual who can manage multiple priorities for a busy Campaign team. The successful candidate enjoys the challenge of working in a vigorous, successful fundraising environment with responsibility for a wide range of assigned duties and projects. The incumbent will require strong administrative, multi-tasking and organizational skills to track and complete assigned development activities and prospect/donor information and have demonstrated experience in related administrative and/or fundraising roles and a strong interest in the major gifts field.
- Work with the Marketing & Communications department to coordinate complex materials including but not limited to speaking and meeting notes, strategic briefs, proposals and impact reports
- Liaise with physicians and other hospital staff in the preparation of proposals and impact reports
- Write letters and other correspondence to donors as required
- Arrange complex donor meetings
- Manage the calendar and scheduling for the fundraising leads
- Build and maintain a strong knowledge of the hospital programs and related priorities
- Assist in creating, updating and completing donor agreements
- Support prospect management and the development cycle by entering, updating and retrieving information from the Raiser’s Edge donor database, including generating/requesting reports
- Respond to internal and external requests for information from colleagues, hospital staff, donors and volunteers
- Provide support at functions for cultivation, fundraising and stewardship
- Other duties consistent with job classification
- A relevant 3-year degree/diploma or, an equivalent combination of formal education and relevant experience.
- 1-3 years’ experience working in fundraising or administrative coordination/support.
- Proficiency in the full suite of Microsoft Office products and internet tools.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge and Luminate Online, or similar fundraising CRM/online databases.
- Knowledge of fundraising professional standards and ethics.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders
- Exemplary attention to detail with excellent planning, organizational and time management skills
- Strong strategic aptitude with a demonstrated ability to problem solve and handle a diverse range of assignments with multiple timelines
- Resourceful and self-motivated while remaining comfortable collaborating within a framework of a goal-oriented team environment
- Possess a professional and mature presence with evidence of leadership, sound judgement intuitiveness, tact and diplomacy.
- Fast pace, service and results oriented environment.
- May have some activity outside of the office to support meetings with volunteers and donors.
- The Foundation has a hybrid work model. Staff will be required to have a safe home office set-up 3-4 days per week and will be in office for 1-2 days per week, (specifics to be planned with your managers.)
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues in all positions throughout the Foundation.
- Shared commitment and support of the overall Foundation goals.
Interested candidates should send your resume and cover letter via email to the UHN Foundation People and Culture inbox: UHNFPeopleandCulture@uhn.ca. Please put this role title in the subject line.
University Health Network thanks all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. UHN has a diverse workforce and is an equal-opportunity employer.