Visions of Science is committed to advancing STEM equity by intentionally supporting youth and communities who experience significant barriers to participation. We facilitate community-based youth engagement programs, provide support for families and educators, and advocate for equitable STEM education, and opportunity throughout the system. We believe that when youth understand the possibilities within STEM, they are empowered with the relevant skills and knowledge to be leaders in their community, agents of change for society, and good stewards of the planet. To learn more about Visions of Science please visit: www.vosnl.org.
Visions of Science prioritizes facilitating power, platform, and agency to individuals who represent the ethnicities, cultures, and lived experiences of the children and youth in the communities that we partner with – in all areas of the organization and our work. We strongly encourage individuals from equity-deserving groups who are historically underrepresented in STEM to apply.
We recognize that effective social innovation is impossible without sustainable revenue. We view fundraising as a vehicle for transformational social change and try to integrate it into every facet of our work. Our approach involves prioritizing long-term impacts, building organizational capacity, communicating the excellence/ opportunity within our communities from an asset-based perspective with an orientation towards systems change.
Visions of Science is entering a phase of exponential growth and we are building upon our vibrant culture of fundraising by building a dedicated team. As part of our fundraising team, you will contribute to realizing our goals and help to take our growth to the next level. As the Development Coordinator, you will work closely with the Sr Director of Development as well as a diverse team to support in cultivating meaningful relationships with individual donors, foundations and corporations.
We are looking for a bold, detail-oriented individual with strong interpersonal communication, organization and planning skills. This individual should be passionate about improving the lives of youth within communities and advancing STEM equity through philanthropy.
If you are interested in driving transformational change through fundraising, we welcome you to apply!
- Contract Type/Term: Full-time/Indefinite
- Hours of Work/Schedule: 35 hrs/week
- Available Positions: 1
- Start Date: March 2023
- Job Location(s): Toronto, 71 Regent Park Boulevard + Remote Work
- Starting Salary: $50,474- $60,099
- Comprehensive benefits package including: extended health and dental; Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan (GRRSP) matching contributions; paid vacation plus 2 weeks paid office closure for winter holidays; “Flexible Fridays” year round
- Reports To: Sr. Director of Development
- Deadline to Apply: February 20, 2023
Major Duties and Responsibilities (including but not limited to)
- Coordinate a portfolio of annual and monthly donors to achieve annual revenue targets
- Research, develop and cultivate comprehensive relationships with individuals, corporations and foundations
- Maintain and update a database of prospective donors and partners (individuals, corporate, foundations etc.) in a donor management system which includes tracking, monitoring and reporting on fundraising engagement and activities
- Coordinate donor database processes including gift processing, issuing tax receipts, monthly gift receipts and annual consolidated tax receipt
- Coordinate and implement donor acknowledgement, stewardship and recognition communications
- Support a corporate engagement strategy by coordinating strategic and tactical plans for partnership engagement and meaningful employee volunteer experiences that are in line with strategic objectives
- Conduct prospect research to identify potential donors using the database and external sources.
- Ensure all stewardship and recognition obligations are met in line with an established matrix (e.g. logo recognition/inclusion, category exclusivity)
- Collaborate with team members to develop and frame proposal ideas that reflect programmatic priorities and community needs
- Support the development of proposals, case statements, sponsorship packages
- Support the development of newsletters and other communications materials as needed, as well as list growth and management
- Coordinate and support the writing and development of funder reports
- Coordinate and support the annual fundraising gala and any other fundraising events
What We’re Looking For
Key Knowledge, Skills, Competencies
- Strong organization skills
- Ability to set priorities and meet tight deadlines
- Dedicated to diligent tracking, continuous learning, and knowledge translation and mobilization
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills including effective networking, relationship building, and active listening
- Exceptional networker with a demonstrated skill to identify and cultivate relationships
- Goal driven with an ability to identify new development opportunities
Other Key Skills
- Ability to work with diverse and multidisciplinary teams
- Strong financial analysis and planning skills
- Strong time management skills, ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Works well both independently and cooperatively in a team, while maintaining the flexibility to adapt to the changing circumstances and priorities of a dynamic and growing organization
Experience & Expertise
Education and Training
- Undergraduate degree/diploma or equivalent relevant experience in fundraising, not-for-profit, business, communications or other related areas
- 1-3 years of relevant experience
- A proven track record of identifying, cultivating and stewarding major gifts and multi-year relationships
- Experience with donor database management systems and/or Customer Relationship Management software (CRM)
- Excellent project management skills, including planning and critical evaluation of an initiative and designing metrics to monitor performance
- Strong written and oral communication skills and ability to convey an authentic vision
- Lived experience in low-income and racialized communities
- Understanding of sector trends in corporate social responsibility/community investment and sponsorship
- Demonstrated tact, diplomacy, and ability to liaise with and inspire with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders
TO APPLY: Please submit your application by February 20, 2023 at 11:59 PM
You must include the following in your application:
- Statement of Interest
- Written letter (max 500 words) or link an unlisted video (max 1 minute) in your application submission touching on the following:
- Tell us about yourself
- Why do you want to work at Visions of Science? What impact do you want to have?
Please note that only candidates selected to move forward in the hiring process will be contacted.
If you require support navigating the application process please email: email@example.com. Please note that this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.