Development Officer, Major Gifts
At the St. Joseph’s Health Centre Foundation we are committed to continuing to transform St. Joe’s as a leading community hospital that delivers the best care experiences to Toronto’s west end. We are guided by our mission to inspire philanthropy from our community and raise the funds needed to support that transformation. St. Joe’s has provided care for millions of people in Toronto’s west end for more than a century. Today it is one Canada’s busiest community teaching hospitals, looking after a vibrant community of over half a million.
The Foundation is a leading community hospital foundation with a strong and engaged board of directors. Following on the success of the recent $100M+ Promise campaign, the Foundation is launching its most ambitious campaign thus far supporting the largest transformation of St. Joe’s in its history. We are looking for two energetic, strategic and collaborative individuals to join our Major Gifts team; individuals who are looking to work for an organization that is a pillar in our community, and, ideally, is close to their heart.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Development, and working closely with the VP Development, the Development Officer (Philanthropy) is a frontline fundraiser with specific revenue goals and is responsible for realizing these on an annual basis. In this capacity, the Development Officer (Philanthropy) is responsible for leading solicitation and stewardship calls to individual and foundation major gift donors and potential donors with the capacity to make gifts of $25,000 or more to help raise the necessary financial resources to advance St. Joe’s strategic priorities. This portfolio is expected to raise $750K to $1M annually with incremental increases over time.
This is what you’ll be doing
- Authentically build, manage and cultivate relationships with a portfolio of 100-125 major gift donors and potential donors to inspire and secure gifts of $25,000+
- Develop proposals and presentations customized to the areas of interest of potential supporters seeking technical input as needed
- Strategically involve the Foundation’s senior team, hospital physicians and staff in relationship building activities and to support personalized stewardship
- Lead proactive foundation grant applications in collaboration with the Major Gifts team
- Facilitate the preparation of gift agreements and acknowledgements to major donors ensuring prompt, tailored, accurate thank-you messages and letters.
- Ensure that detailed call notes are recorded for prospect tracking in a timely manner
- Work in collaboration with the Senior Manager, Development to set goals and develop plans
- Work closely with other departments as required in furthering the goals of the Foundation
The position requires the ability to:
- Utilize moves management strategies aimed at increasing support for St. Joe’s
- Write letters of inquiry, acknowledgements, proposals, and other donor correspondence; develop customized solicitation tools; write talking points for meetings
- Think strategically to plan and implement customized cultivation and engagement that lead to gifts confirmed
- Prepare briefing and debriefing notes, letters and other documentation to support the closing of gifts
- Excite people by effectively communicating the Foundation’s vision
- Strong organizational skills and professional demeanour
- Strong interpersonal skills and judgment
- Maintain confidential and privileged information with discretion
- Ensure timely and accurate maintenance of all gift, solicitation and donor information in Raiser’s Edge (CRM)
- Focus on project outcomes, identify challenges, and quickly adapt tactics as necessary
- Use MS Office applications
- Strong team player with a good sense of humour and ability to have fun
This is how we’ll support you:
- Hybrid work environment
- Competitive compensation with comprehensive health benefits
- Professional development opportunities
- Membership into HOOPP – a leading defined-benefit pension plan
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis before the application deadline closes.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are looking forward to you helping us realize impressive results now and in the years to come!