Director, Major Gifts
A Career Opportunity
UNICEF is the world’s farthest-reaching humanitarian organization for children. Across 190 countries and territories, and in the world’s toughest places, we work day in and day out to help children survive. To defend their rights. To keep them protected, healthy and educated. To give them a fair chance to fulfil their potential. Our work for every child relies entirely on voluntary support, including donations from generous Canadians.
Director, Major Gifts
(Permanent; Full time; Remote, based in Toronto)
A strategic and forward-thinking leader, the Director, Major Gifts will bring ambition, creativity, and vision to this unique, senior fundraising opportunity. As a seasoned major gifts fundraiser and natural relationship-builder, the Ideal Candidate will implement significant growth of our major gifts program with energy and initiative.
The new incumbent will have a solid track record of major gift pipeline development, including significant experience closing six and seven figure level gifts from high net-wealth individuals and families. An exceptional relationship manager, the Director will thrive and be energized by meeting new people, making connections and passionately championing our organization’s mandate and mission.
With the ability to manage up and down with equal ease, the successful candidate will be a driven individual and inspiring leader. The Director will lead a team of four major gift professionals in an inclusive, collaborative, and supportive way, fostering strong team engagement for all members across the country. Highly organized, goal oriented and capable of juggling multiple priorities, the successful candidate will foster an environment of fundraising best practice, and will motivate others to achieve ambitious, but realistic targets.
With experience in and/or curiosity about human and international development, the new incumbent will exhibit ethical leadership, be passionate and mission-driven, and embrace UNICEF’s mandate to advocate for the protection of children’s rights, helping to meet their basic needs, and giving them a fair chance to reach their full potential.
The responsibilities of the position will include:
Revenue Generation & Moves Management (50%)
- Drive opportunities to position UNICEF as a partner of choice, with a key focus on developing new strategic, long-term, major donor relationships.
- Working closely with the VP Development, provide strategic guidance and suggest moves management strategies to the Major Gift team to deepen engagement with existing donors and drive new acquisition.
- Act as a senior solicitor and personal relationship manager with a focus on individual donors and families giving six, and seven figure gifts.
- Lead the prospecting, pipeline development, and activation via robust moves management to meet forecasting activities annually and for long-term planning.
- With support from senior leadership and volunteers, work closely with the VP, Development to identify and develop transformative major gift opportunities.
- Provide oversight to the mid-level giving program including the Women UNlimited giving circle.
- Represent UNICEF at donor engagement events and cultivation activities such as virtual and in person stewardship events, speaking engagements and presentations to donor groups virtually and in person.
- Support the Development team to achieve goals and targets, including new business strategies, donor engagement, stewardship planning and strong donor relations practices.
- Ensure the development of strategic internal and external alliances towards the specific goal of generating revenue, lead generation and/or organizational profile; cross collaborate with all fundraising channels, including intermediate donors, corporate, community and signature events.
- Build partnerships with other National Committees, UNICEF Private Fundraising and Partnership (PFP) Division and Country offices to explore and create additional opportunities for ultra-high net worth prospects and donors; represent UNICEF Canada at regular meetings, participate and present at workshops and conferences to internal stakeholder groups.
- Represent UNICEF Canada on program visits in and outside of Canada, ability to travel internationally as needed.
Strategic Management & Operational Planning and Administration (30%)
- Maintain a 4-year sight-line for the team major gift revenue growth.
- Contribute to the execution of relevant sections for the multi-year Joint Strategic Plan (JSP), operationalize the Annual Operating Plan (AOP) for major gifts, and ensure integration across the Development Team and the organization.
- Provide updates and reports to VP, Development on the status of the major gift and mid-level fundraising program projections, achievements and gaps.
- Monitor variances and recommend corrective actions to meet annual revenue/expense targets.
- Develop creative solutions and stimulate new ways of thinking, while maintaining strong donor and volunteer relationships.
- Work with the VP Development to ensure department strategies are synergistic and identify cross-functional opportunities across the Development Team, supported by the International Policy and Programs teams as appropriate.
- Work with PFP to ensure our strategies and approaches are well-aligned to meeting global objectives/protocols in Major Gifts.
Team Management (20%)
- Develop, coach and manage effective, motivated individuals to achieve annual and long-term revenue goals, while building strong donor relationships.
- Encourage individuals to develop strengths and support opportunities to foster professional growth.
- Develop on-boarding and succession plans to ensure program continuity.
- Conduct annual goal setting and performance reviews as established by people processes; support employee engagement strategies, as required.
- Ensure all documentation regarding expenses, legal agreements/contracts and employee documentation are up-to-date, accurate and compliant with UNICEF policies.
- Ensure integrity with the mission and values in all fundraising activities.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Successful track record with revenue generating and business development, working with senior executives, Board members and volunteers, soliciting and closing major gifts at the six-figure level and above.
- A ‘go getter’ team player and a natural relationship builder both internally and externally.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment, prioritize and multi-task.
- Highly intuitive and demonstrates strong decision making and judgment skills; strategic and resourceful.
- Superior verbal and written communications skills, ability to convey big ideas with passion, strong public speaking skills; adapts communication style as appropriate.
- Self-aware, committed to professional and personal growth for self and team members.
- Organized, detail-oriented, with strong follow through and excellent time management skills.
- Acts with integrity by promoting consistency among principles, values, and behaviours.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally – a valid driver’s license, passport, and fulfilling health and security protocols are required.
- Comfortable with flexible business hours to accommodate time differences, evening/weekend events, donor support or organizational resource management.
- Experience in the international development sector is considered an asset.
- Fluency in French is considered an asset.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office and experience with relational databases, ideally Raiser’s Edge.
- University degree or equivalent
- A minimum ten (10) plus years in fundraising, development/advancement operations or not-for-profit sector experience in Major Gifts fundraising.
Salary Range: $107,000 to $131,000 per year.
What we offer
UNICEF Canada strongly supports workplace wellness and offers the following benefits:
- Extended Health and Dental Benefits with Health Care Spending Account
- Life insurance and AD&D
- Short Term Disability (STD)
- Long Term Disability (LTD)
- Employer contributions (5%) to Group Pension plan
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- 2 paid personal days
- 10 paid sick days
- Maternity and Parental leave top-up
- 3 weeks of annual leave (vacation time increases with time served)
- One additional day of vacation on the anniversary of each year of service, up to a maximum of 30 days.
- Staff Appreciation Days.
- Currently offering Remote work option.
- Learning and Development Opportunities.
- Discounted rate for a GoodLife membership.
For consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by September 25, 2023. Please attach your cover letter (including salary expectations) and resume as one document and reference “Director, Major Gifts” clearly in the subject heading.
UNICEF Canada sincerely thanks all applicants for their expressed interest in this opportunity, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Consistent with our Child Safeguarding Policy, the successful candidate must receive clearance by a police background check, including a vulnerable sector screen.
UNICEF Canada is an inclusive workplace and is committed to championing diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the requirements for the position.