Director of Development
The Guelph Humane Society (GHS) advocates for all animals and in particular those animals whose lives it can influence, through care, education, community support, protection, and leadership.
Are you passionate about the critical role that animals play in our lives, the important connection between animals and their people? Do you want be part of a leadership team that helps countless vulnerable animals in our community? Are you passionate about the role philanthropy plays in advancing this work?
If you have a proven track record in fundraising at a senior leadership level, and a passion for making our community a better place for animals, please consider applying today.
The Director of Development is responsible for leading a comprehensive donor relations and stewardship program that relays impact, inspires, and fosters lasting relationships to advance the mission of GHS. They will be responsible for elevating GHS’s fundraising achievements through the creation and implementation of strategic directions that actively engage community partners, sponsors, prospects and donors at all levels; leverage key relationships to achieve fundraising goals; and promote and enhance the public image of the organization.
Reporting to the Executive Director and leading a team of four direct reports, the Director of Development is a key member of the senior management team at GHS and plays a leadership role in setting and executing the organization’s fundraising strategy.
- Establishes short-term and long-range goals for funding sources, with responsibility for growing giving and donations through a variety of channels including community giving, monthly giving, corporate giving, foundation support, planned giving, and major/leadership giving
- Oversees, develops and cultivates a pipeline of major gift donors and prospects, including individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Works to secure multi-year gifts that allow for future planning and support sustainability
- Strategically engages and supports volunteers, board members and internal leadership to cultivate prospects, solicit and close gifts
- Develops, implements, and maintains a forward-thinking donor stewardship and recognition program that cultivates loyalty and growth from all philanthropic sources, along with the development of a prospect acquisition strategy
- Develops legacy giving plans and strategies and promote legacy giving inside and outside the GHS
- Provides leadership over the planning and execution of fundraising events, ensuring each event is executed with excellence and results are evaluated and reviewed for continuous improvement in subsequent years
- Leads and manages a team of 4 fundraising professionals and motivates through coaching and mentoring
- Meets regularly with supporters, donors, prospects, partners, etc.
- Working closely with the Director of Communications & Community Engagement, develops and executes an annual stewardship and communications plan identifying key communications vehicles and events to maximize community partnerships and demonstrate impact to various audiences, including existing and potential donors/partners
- Prepares and negotiates gift agreements and proposals and brings solicitations to closure with or independent of ED/Board, as appropriate
- Participates as a member of the GHS leadership team to set strategic and organizational goals
- Embrace and consistently enact organizational values of respect, caring, integrity and partnership, supported by being authentic and accountable to yourself and our team
Required Experience & Skills:
- Post secondary degree in a related field
- 7 years of progressive experience in fundraising
- Proven track record in securing major gifts including developing a pipeline, prospect research, creating cases for support, and multi-year gifts
- Demonstrated success in donor appeals; donor relations, stewardship, and recognition; setting revenue and expense budgets; and communications/promotional activities
- Experience in building and retaining a high-performing team including recruiting, coaching, managing, and inspiring staff
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and leadership skills, with ability to work within a senior management team
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a superior ability to build and foster solid relationships with tact and diplomacy
- Self-motivated, high energy, and results oriented with the drive to exceed expectations
- Excellent problem solving, research, and analytical skills, along with good judgment, flexibility, personal integrity, compassion, and adaptable to change
- Commitment to highest levels of professional standards and ethics, and knowledge of Canadian charity laws and CRA regulations
- Demonstrated proficiency in Raiser’s Edge (or similar CRM) and Microsoft Office
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation is considered an asset
- Comfortable being around animals of all types and some general knowledge of animal care/responsible pet ownership would be an asset
- Excellent understanding of animal welfare would be an asset
- Must have current Ontario “G” driver’s license, insurance, and access to a vehicle as required
- Will be required to work evenings and weekends as needed
You will be a great fit for this role if you have:
Experience being part of a small dynamic team where you have been doing a lot with a little; you have vision for the future and are excited to roll up those sleeves and get in the weeds with your team.
How to Apply:
Please include a resume and cover letter (including salary expectations) to Lisa Veit at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate Director of Development in the subject line of your application. Applications are encouraged on a rolling basis up to February 22, 2023.
We welcome diversity, value differences, and foster inclusion in our employment practices. We invite applications from all qualified individuals who are philosophically aligned with our mission, vision, and values.
GHS welcomes and encourages applications from individuals with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.