Director of Development
Director of Development
Responsible To: Executive Director
Duration: permanent full time
L’Arche Toronto Homes Inc. (L’Arche Toronto) is an organization of hope, belonging and celebration. For over 49 years, L’Arche Toronto has created a community where people with and without intellectual disabilities share life with a wide circle of family, friends, donors and neighbours. We help persons with intellectual disabilities discover their gifts and abilities and support them to achieve their goals for a meaningful life.
We are currently seeking a resourceful Director of Development to run all facets of our fundraising calendar in order to raise ~1 million dollars a year. This is your opportunity to join a smaller organization which is surrounded by a vibrant community of support, including staff, volunteers and community members. This role is based in our Toronto office with occasional opportunities to work remotely.
What you’ll do:
• Raise between $500k-$1million annually; our organization is primarily funded through MCCSS, however, to maintain the standard of support and care that is central to our L’Arche community and run its programs you will work towards ensuring we meet our budget. In addition to housing support, we also run multiple programs that require additional funding; these include TIFS and Sol Express. The development office has been essential to our organization and you will ensure it continues to support us.
• Plan and execute various fundraising efforts throughout the year; this role is for a fundraising generalist who is able to multitask across many different fundraising strategies. We rely on a multipronged strategic approach to raising funds; including annual and monthly giving, grant writing, events, special fundraising days such as Giving Tuesday and planned giving. We currently have a good baseline set to build from. You will be responsible for planning and executing all details of our annual fundraising events. This includes booking the location, advertising, finding sponsors, organizing the silent auction, booking musicians/entertainment and ensuring every detail is looked after.
• Maintain and develop important relationships; this role requires a high degree of communications, planning and execution. You will be in contact with our donors through both written and personal communications. This means writing and sending out our regular newsletters and managing personal relationships through phone calls and thank you cards. Every donor who gives over $500 currently gets a personal phone call from our team with a thank you. This high degree of personalization is important to our success. You will work on outward communications in concert with the Executive Director who is the organization’s spokesperson.
• Maintain and refresh a culture of philanthropy and trust in our organization; this role is a leader in building fundraising into the core of our organization. You will create a strategy to engage and steward new and current valued donors to our organization.
• Manage capital campaigns; we are currently wrapping up a capital campaign and have another multimillion dollar one on the horizon, which you will support through coordination efforts in collaboration with the L’Arche Toronto team.
• Maintain social media; through our various platforms including Instagram and Facebook, you will provide information, tell stories and build awareness for our organization and fundraising initiatives using our unique voice and messaging that aligns with our mission.
Who you are:
• Highly responsible, extremely detail oriented and never drops the ball; as the sole individual managing the development office, you’ll perform a mix of strategic and highly administrative tasks. You are someone who values the administration and details as much as the strategic work. You take ownership of your commitments; nobody ever needs to worry that you’ll forget a step or miss a detail. This includes managing our database and a comfort with bookkeeping and financial transactions/reconciliations which are done on a monthly basis.
• A champion and communicator of change; You are someone who is able to work within an evolving organization and you’re able to hold what is core to L’Arche’s mission to ensure our donors and public partners are reminded of the great work we do.
• Someone who has worked in small nonprofit organizations, has done a variety of fundraising, and is familiar with the gifts of people living with intellectual disabilities; there are many combinations of backgrounds and experiences that will make you successful in this role. The aforementioned three are critical to some degree. At this point in your career, you likely have an established network built on strong relationships.
• Creative, self-directed and desiring to include others in their work; this role requires you to
understand the balance of knowing when to bring others onboard to help and when you need to go it alone. While you’re comfortable taking ultimate accountability for the work, L’Arche Toronto is a very collaborative environment where everyone wants to support each other. You’ll need to quickly form relationships with many different stakeholders to thrive in this role.
Why work with us:
• At L’Arche Toronto you’ll be joining an organization that is leading change. We are working to create justice and equity for people living with intellectual disabilities through life celebrating programming, and setting a new standard for housing in Toronto. This role provides you the opportunity to participate in all areas of fundraising and development while playing a key role in L’Arche Toronto’s mission.
How to apply:
Please submit your resume, including a minimum of two references, along with a cover letter outlining your desire for and fit with this role by June 30, 2023 to Human Resources: firstname.lastname@example.org.
L’Arche Toronto is actively committed to creating a diverse and inclusive community and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. L’Arche Toronto offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you require accommodation during the recruitment/hiring process or require an accessible version of a document/publication, please contact Human Resources. Thank you for your interest, however, only those invited for an interview will be contacted.