Director of Development
At the intersection of mind and action, Ryerson is on a transformative path to becoming Canada’s leading comprehensive innovation university. Integral to this path is the placement of equity, diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our institutional culture. Our current academic plan outlines each as core values and we work to embed them in all that we do.
Ryerson University welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
As an employer, we’re working towards a people first culture and we’re proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employer for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. To learn more about our work environment and innovative educational environment, visit http://www.ryerson.ca, check out @RyersonU, @RyersonHR, and @RyersonECI on Twitter, and visit our LinkedIn company page.
The Faculty of Science (FOS) at Ryerson University is a powerhouse of leading-edge applied research and education located in the heart of downtown Toronto. We deliver high-quality education that produces workforce-ready graduates and we conduct vital research that improves the quality of lives around the globe. The Faculty of Science is committed to interdisciplinary teaching and research across our four departments – physics, chemistry and biology, computer science, and mathematics – to prepare students for a career in the lab, the emergency room, and beyond. To learn more about the faculty, visit www.ryerson.ca/science/ and search @RyersonSci on Twitter and ryersonsci Instagram.
University Advancement (UA) is a comprehensive development and alumni relations enterprise serving the priorities of Ryerson’s academic plan. Our mission is to build lifelong relationships, engaging alumni and friends, faculty and staff, and corporations and foundations, and matching their interests with the needs and priorities of the university. University Advancement at Ryerson is a dedicated team of professionals, committed to collaboration, diversity, and integrity, and to being trustworthy stewards of our donors’ investments.
We’re seeking a passionate fundraising professional to join the Faculty of Science team. The Director of Development will work to raise major and principal gift support toward Ryerson University’s highest priorities, building enduring relationships with major and principal gift prospects/donors over their lifetime; maximizing the inherent potential in those relationships.
To help us learn more about you, please provide a cover letter and resume describing how you meet the following required qualifications:
- Post-secondary degree in a relevant discipline or an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered;
- Three (3) or more years’ experience of progressively responsible fundraising and development management. Experience in an educational environment or arts related organization (e.g. Social Sciences and Humanities; Liberal Arts) is preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to identify and implement major gift strategic planning and solicitation strategies;
- Proven ability to think strategically and work independently in driving new initiatives and enhancing existing programs and be able to effectively articulate these initiatives;
- Working knowledge of complex information systems, prospect tracking, research, tax laws, basic financial planning and deferred giving programs;
- Demonstrated experience managing volunteers and volunteer programs;
- Must have demonstrated understanding of the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with internal stakeholders at all levels;
- Demonstrated writing skills, specifically in the area of proposal writing;
- Proficiency in the use of a Windows based database as well as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access;
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
|Executive Director, Advancement
|Three years from the start date
|Hours of work
|$102,079 – 163,060 (hiring range: $102,079 – $132,571)
|Renee Gordon, HR Consulting Advisor
|January 24, 2022
|February 4, 2022
Qualified MAC employees will be interviewed before members of other employee groups.
We encourage all First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples or Indigenous peoples of North America, to self-identify in their applications and also reach out to Tracey King, Indigenous Human Resources Lead for support during the selection process.
As part of the selection process, candidates may be required to complete an occupational assessment.
Applications will only be accepted online through Ryerson’s careersite.
Ryerson University is committed to the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and aims to ensure that independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity are embedded in all aspects of the university culture.
We will provide an accessible experience for applicants, students, employees, and members of the Ryerson community. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the recruitment process. If you have restrictions that need to be accommodated to fully participate in any phase of the recruitment process, please reach out to: firstname.lastname@example.org. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Please watch a message from Ryerson’s Vice President, Equity and Community Inclusion for more information on our commitment to equity.
Important Notice to applicants during COVID-19
Following the advice of government and health authorities to slow the spread of COVID-19, all employees have been equipped to work from home until further notice. New employees will also work from home with the exception of those who have been deemed ‘essential’ and are required to be on campus. All recruiting activities including interviews and onboarding are being conducted virtually.