Organization: Kids Help Phone
Title: Director, Philanthropy
Position: Full Time, Contract (12 months)
Reports to: SVP, Advancement & Chief Development Officer
Location: Vancouver, BC or Toronto, ON (temporarily remote due to Covid-19; hybrid thereafter)
Is this you?
Are you motivated by the opportunity to positively impact mental health for young people in Canada? Would you be passionate about helping young people deal with the challenges of growing up in today’s complex, ever-changing, technologically-driven world? Are you eager to lead a fast-paced, goal-oriented major gifts team, as we enter the next phase of our fundraising evolution?
You have ‘gravitas’ and are a known and respected fundraiser, relationship builder and active member of the Charitable Sector in Canada. You bring with you a deep understanding of Major and Transformative Giving, and pride yourself on your network and reputation in the donor community. You have maintained positive relationships with individual and family donors, business leaders, and foundations alike. You are quick on your feet, and peers would describe you as innovative, gracious, and positive.
You are comfortable and trusting in your people leadership abilities and can successfully and tactfully manage your team and cross functional teams as well. You can professionally process and welcome change.
Kids Help Phone has served young people 9 million times since March 2020. From the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have experienced and met a sustained demand for support of 137% from young people across the country. But our work is not done.
As we prepare to launch the public phase of our $250M comprehensive campaign in 2022, Kids Help Phone is on a transformational journey, one that will change the landscape of youth mental health in Canada. We cannot do it without a team who are willing to be game-changers and help fuel that journey. We need team members that are passionate about making a real difference in young people’s lives. It will take courage. It will take resilience. Sound like a journey you want to be a part of? Then keep reading…
Kids Help Phone is a leader in e-mental health solutions in Canada and around the world. Known for our expertise and continuous innovation as the country’s only 24/7 professional counselling, crisis support and information service for young people in both English and French. We have been pioneers in virtual care and e-health solutions for young people in Canada for over 32 years.
Since 1989, we have offered kids, teens and young adults a critical lifeline of hope and support through free, anonymous and confidential services, which research and evaluation shows significantly improves youth mental health and wellness.
Young people reach out to Kids Help Phone’s professional counsellors and trained volunteers from every corner of the country via phone, Live Chat and texting, and benefit from referrals through the largest database of youth-serving programs in the country. Kids Help Phone’s website is a widely recognized model of youth-focused design; offering therapeutic tools, games and information.
The Director, Philanthropy is accountable for overseeing philanthropic, major giving activity. Our candidate will work closely with their peers cross-departmentally and across the country to collaborate on strategy and to ensure alignment. The Director of Philanthropy will be personally accountable for $1M+ in annualized revenue and will virtually lead a team of four Senior Development Officers across Canada (based in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Halifax) to secure a team revenue budget of $5.7M in 2022.
We are looking for a unique blend between a strong major giving fundraiser, team leader and cross collaborator. Our candidate will coach, mentor and develop Senior Development Officers and will work closely with senior leadership on closing and supporting transformational commitments. Not only will our candidate be a strong manager, they’ll need to be strong at managing up to senior management, as well as senior volunteers where appropriate. As a member of the department’s senior leadership team, the Director, Philanthropy will work closely with department executives to build and manage giving pipelines that will support a ground-breaking, national campaign – the largest of its kind for youth mental health in Canada’s history.
What You’ll Do
- Lead the overall revenue generation process for Major Giving (Individuals and Foundations), working closely with the SVP, Advancement and members of the Senior Advancement Leadership Team in the development and execution of the philanthropy giving strategy and pipeline.
- Within the framework of the strategy, manage annual revenue and expense budget for the Individual Major Gifts and Foundations revenue streams, and ensure staff with revenue accountabilities complete the required budget and plans for consolidated review.
- Partner with and support Advancement peers leading Operations, Stewardship and Campaign Communications functions, as well as Service peers relating to funding priority framework development.
- Support ongoing build and execution of key campaign architecture pieces, including: Campaign Cabinet and Board Engagement, as well as supporting management of key pipeline reports and stewardship activities.
- Lead prospect identification process, managing and continually building philanthropy pipeline across the stages of identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Lead and inspire Kids Help Phone staff, particularly the philanthropy team, supporters and collaborators to make their most effective contribution to the charity’s vision and mission.
- Ensure that objectives, projects, and critical paths for all fundraising programs are being met and that the agreed philanthropy processes are being followed.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in non-profit management, programming and philanthropy.
- Provide fundraising thought leadership, advice and guidance as needed to address key national and regional issues.
- Consult and collaborate with the leadership team on issues that may have broader regional and or nationwide implications.
- People management: ensuring the oversight, mentorship and growth of direct reports.
- Embodying Kids Help Phone’s vision and values both internally and externally.
What You’ll Need
- University graduate with 7-10 years of professional fundraising experience.
- Familiarity with comprehensive fundraising functions and regulations, including Imagine Canada Standards requirements.
- Experience in campaign fundraising considered an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, develop and “close” funding relationships, and clear evidence of ability to close gifts.
- Strong management skills, with the ability to mentor, coach and supervise development professionals.
- Superior interpersonal skills, including the ability to relate effectively with people at all levels both internally and externally.
- Exceptional writing and presentation skills and the ability to effectively communicate to a diverse constituency.
- A results-oriented focus, a driven attitude and an entrepreneurial approach to fundraising and problem solving.
- Demonstrated computer skills and competence with standard computer tools associated with business, marketing and project management.
- Ability to develop and manage departmental and project budgets.
- Experience working with a non-profit Board of Directors and other senior-level advisory volunteers.
- French language skills considered an asset.
- CFRE designation considered an asset.
You’ll already have the following
- A passion for coaching and mentoring frontline fundraisers to achieve ambitious targets.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to balance competing priorities.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Commitment to the vision and goals of the organization.
Are you are inspired by helping to meet the quickly evolving needs of young people in Canada today and are ready to contribute to a dynamic organization dedicated to improving their mental health and well-being?
History in the making!
Does this sound like a journey you want to be a part of?
Open the posting and click the “Apply” button in the top right corner of the page. Please attach a single file with your resume and cover letter titled: *lastname_firstname_Director, Philanthropy *
For more information about Kids Help Phone, please visit our website at https://kidshelpphone.ca/
The position will be posted until February 4, 2022.
Accredited member, Imagine Canada Standards Program.
Kids Help Phone is an equal opportunity employer, values diversity of people and communities, and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our organization. We welcome applications from visible minority group members, women, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, and others who respect and reflect the diversity of service users.
Kids Help Phone is committed to providing barrier-free environment and accommodation in accordance with the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if your require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process.
As a condition of employment, all external hires will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination or documentation unless a valid accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code exists. All internal candidates must be in compliance with Kids Help Phone’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.