Ontario Realtors Care® Foundation (ORCF) is seeking an inaugural Executive Director to lead operations and build the Foundation’s profile and impact in partnership with REALTORS® across Ontario. This is an exciting time to join ORCF and lead a charity with incredible opportunities for growth as we embark on a new strategic vision.
With an over 50-year history, ORCF is an independent charity that currently supports and promotes the real estate professions philanthropic commitment to shelter-related causes through the Every REALTOR® Cares Campaign, REALTORS® Care Fellow Program, Express Grants and other fundraising activities. With a bold new 5-year strategic plan, the Foundation will exponentially increase its charitable impact through multiple initiatives that will enhance the organization’s profile, REALTOR® engagement, and increase revenue to over $5M a year by 2027.
Reporting to the Foundation Board of Directors, the successful candidate will be an experienced senior leader with a proven history growing revenue and promoting programs in the non-profit sector. Collaborative and driven, the ideal candidate will be a builder who thrives in a “start-up” environment. A compelling communicator, the new Executive Director will skillfully use their relationship building skills to motivate and unify diverse groups towards a common goal, increasing support for the Foundation.
The Executive Director role will enjoy the flexibility of a hybrid work environment working a minimum of two days a week at the OREA office located in north-east Toronto, and up to three days at a home office.
ABOUT THE ONTARIO REALTORS CARE® FOUNDATION
The Ontario REALTORS Care® Foundation was established as the Canadian Real Estate Board Foundation – Ontario Fund in 1967 as part of the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) Foundation.
In 1977, the Foundation returned as a provincial organization — named the Ontario Real Estate Association (OREA) Foundation.
For 22 years, from 1977 to 1999, grants were made to a variety of charitable organizations across Ontario. In 1999, the decision was made to focus grant monies primarily to shelter-based charitable organizations.
In 2002, the Foundation Board introduced the fellowship program, a special program to honour and acknowledge the contributions of REALTORS®, their families and friends who enable the good work of the Foundation.
Four years later the Foundation celebrated another exciting change. In 2006 the name of the Ontario Real Estate Association (OREA) Foundation changed to the Ontario REALTORS Care® Foundation.
Over the last 40 years the Foundation has granted more than $16M to shelter-based organizations throughout the province on behalf of the Ontario REALTORS®.
The Ontario REALTORS Care® Foundation enables and empowers REALTORS® across Ontario to fundraise in support of shelter-related causes in the communities in which they live and work.
How We Help
REALTORS® Help Families In Need
One of the most rewarding things a REALTOR® can do is to help families find the perfect home. The Ontario REALTORS Care® Foundation works on the same premise through our support of shelter related charities in Ontario. Each year, we help families in need of emergency and permanent housing through their work with organizations such as Habitat for Humanity, Shelters (Cambridge Shelter, A Place called Home, Out of the Cold, Unity Project), Community Living and many others.
Shelter is defined as a refuge, haven or protection that provides or improves quality of life from hunger, the elements, physical/psychological abuse, disabilities and illness. Our work helps build vibrant, healthy communities for all Ontarians.
The goal of the Ontario REALTORS Care® Foundation is to contribute to our members’ communities by making a difference in the lives of people, where they live and conduct business. The Ontario REALTORS Care® Foundation is the legacy of all Ontario REALTORS®. They have the power to make a difference in someone’s life.
The work of the Ontario REALTORS Care® Foundation is made possible through the generous support of REALTORS® and local Real Estate Boards and Associations from across Ontario.
OVERVIEW – ORCF STRATEGIC PLAN (2022 – 2026)
Our strategic plan reflects a desire to enhance our ability to meet our mission and elevate the profile of our profession’s philanthropic commitment, while making a difference in the communities where Ontario REALTORS® live and work.
- Further define the unique value proposition and case for support for ORCF.
- Deliver a fundraising strategy and programs that drive revenue growth and provide more options and incentives for engagement from the Ontario REALTOR® community.
- Provide tools and resources to key stakeholders to support fundraising for the Foundation.
- Build an ORCF Ambassador program.
- Increase effectiveness of ORCF communication channels i.e., website, social media etc.
- Create more compelling opportunities to support local charities through the Foundation Express Grants program.
- Cultivate opportunities for more significant Foundation giving and allocate revenue in a manner that will deliver a greater community impact and increased profile for Foundation support.
- Build the ORCF brand through an updated marketing and communication plan, media strategy and consistent, strategic branding and co-branding opportunities.
- Leverage the ORCF relationship with OREA which offsets operational costs, increases access to resources, and facilitates strategic relationships in a manner that supports efficiencies and opportunities for more beneficial and rapid growth of the Foundation.
Ontario Real Estate Association (OREA)
How Real Estate is Organized in Ontario
Most professions form associations to represent the interests of their members. In Ontario, the arrangement is called ‘organized real estate’ and it has three levels: local, provincial and national. Real estate boards represent brokers and salespeople at the local level. Those who choose to join a real estate board automatically become members of organized real estate and may call themselves REALTORS®. At the provincial level, OREA represents 92,000 REALTORS® from the 36 real estate boards.
CREA, operating at the national level, oversees the interests of REALTORS® across Canada. When a salesperson joins a real estate board, they automatically become a member of OREA and CREA.
A member board of OREA is a Member Board of the Ontario REALTORS Care® Foundation. The Foundation works closely with the boards on fundraising for our events and through their local events.
How the Foundation is Funded
In 2004, OREA’s Board of Directors decided to fund the administrative costs of ORCF. This means all donor dollars go directly to the shelter-related causes funded by the Foundation.
The Foundation truly appreciates the generosity and strong support of OREA. Personal donations that generously support the Foundation are complimented by the Foundation’s annual events – The Ontario REALTORS Care® Foundation “Jam with A Past President” event, Every REALTOR® Campaign, REALTORS® in Motion and the Ontario REALTORS Care® Foundation Motorcycle RIDE for Charity, along with our Boards’ fundraising initiatives.
While ORCF is a separate entity, the Foundation benefits from this unique model that provides generous operational support and other resources from OREA, which allows more funds to be available to ORCF charitable activities.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Planning, Leadership & Governance
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors to implement the vision and strategic directions of the Foundation.
- Lead the development and execution of an annual business plan and budget that operationalizes the strategic objectives of the 5-year strategic plan.
- Support all activities of the Board, attend Board and committee meetings, and provide required Executive Director reports and other materials in a timely and accurate manner.
- Provide leadership and coaching to Board members to help drive execution of Foundation initiatives and objectives through:
- Development of clear expectations for Director involvement in fundraising.
- Support of volunteer recruitment for committees and the Board.
- Build the Foundation’s profile through industry events.
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of internal and external risk factors which may affect the organization and its ability to achieve its objectives.
- Develop, leverage and maintain a collaborative and positive relationship with OREA that supports efficient and effective Foundation activities.
- Work collaboratively with the OREA CFO and Finance Manager to ensure proper financial oversight of the Foundation.
- Manage day-to-day operations with Program Coordinator and in collaboration with a staff team when relevant.
- Train, coach, and evaluate the Program Coordinator to help them meet organization objectives.
- Ensure the Foundation’s compliance with legal, regulatory, and ethical standards.
- Keep up to date on charitable sector knowledge and trends, and strategically use this knowledge to inform foundation activities.
- Build an organizational culture and reputation that reflects a commitment to the mission, values, and strategic priorities of ORCF.
- Create a Foundation Case for Support that clearly and effectively positions ORCF for greater investment by defining its unique value proposition, benefits for support and ways to give.
- Evaluate and deliver a grant and donation strategy in a manner that increases the public profile and impact of Foundation giving and evaluate the opportunity to introduce new revenue streams.
- Develop positive relationships with existing and new donors leveraging the support of the Board and other volunteers to cultivate and steward relationships towards increased engagement.
- Build required Foundation infrastructure to support comprehensive giving opportunities and strong donor relations including but not limited to policies, donor agreements, recognition and stewardship matrixes etc.
- Work closely with the ORCF Board of Directors and related committees to coach and support their fundraising efforts.
- Create fundraising resources and toolkits to support ORCF volunteers and third-party fundraising supporters.
Marketing & Community Engagement
- Create, deliver, and monitor a marketing plan to strengthen relationships, build awareness and promote the Foundation as the charity of choice with key stakeholders across the province including influencers, fellows, Brands or Brokerages, Boards, Executive Officers, and members of Committees.
- Strengthen Foundation communication channels (website, social) and other activities in conjunction with the creation of an updated marketing and communication plan and brand standards.
- Develop and deliver consistent impact reporting on Foundation activities.
- Work collaboratively with the ORCF Board to define and launch the ORCF Ambassador program to promote the Foundation with representatives in all regions of the province.
- Act as the main spokesperson and ambassador for the Foundation developing a calendar of strategic communication with the 36 Boards, Executive Officers and other key stakeholders within the Ontario REALTOR® community.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Progressive senior leadership experience in the non-profit and/or charitable sector.
- Generalist fundraising experience with demonstrated success building and executing fund development growth plans that incorporate strong donor communications and impact reporting. Experience in a dual fundraising and marketing role a definite asset.
- A proven track record of working independently to develop and operationalize strategic and annual plans that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors with an understanding of governance best practices for a charity and/or a non-profit.
- Strong relationship building and influencing skills, with a demonstrated ability to engage and build unity with a wide range of colleagues and stakeholders.
- Solid experience coaching and managing volunteers.
- Solution and outcome focused with an approach to tasks and problem-solving that is action-oriented, entrepreneurial, and adaptable.
- Persuasive and passionate communication skills that include excellent written, verbal and presentation communication skills.
- Enthusiastic team leader with the ability and desire to lead, coach and work alongside a team to achieve results.
- Experience with donor management and/or CRM databases.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and successfully manage multiple priorities.
- Experience working in a complex, multi-level organization an asset.
- Education in a related field (business, fundraising marketing) or an equivalent combination of education and related work experience is considered an asset.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Regular access to a vehicle and a valid drivers license.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
The Ontario REALTORS Care® Foundation has retained KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) to lead this search on their behalf. Inquiries and applications should be directed to Tara George, Partner/Lead, or Samantha David, Associate Vice President, Search + Talent via email at ORCF@kcitalent.com.
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Interested candidates should send their resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by April 19, 2022.
To view the full Executive Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
The salary range for this position is $130K to $160K with an excellent benefits program and OREA pension.
ORCF’s workplace is a hybrid model. Employees may work at an approved location in Ontario, other than the OREA office up to an average of 3 days per week. The policy, as well as an individual employee’s flexible work arrangement will be reviewed on a regular basis.
All individuals, attending in-person at OREA workplaces and/or work locations, are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. Part of this commitment includes arranging accommodations to ensure an equitable opportunity to participate in the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.