The OFT Board of Directors has launched a provincial search for a new Executive Director.
Ontario has lost 2.8 million acres (18%) of its farmland in the past 35 years to urbanization, aggregate mining, and other land conversions. The rate of loss is increasing, disrupting our agricultural communities and ecosystems. The Ontario Farmland Trust (OFT) is a provincial charity that works to permanently protect Ontario’s farmland and the associated natural features. It works directly with landowners who want to protect their land for the future by establishing Farmland Easement Agreements. This is a voluntary legal agreement between a farmland owner and OFT that is placed on property title and applies to current and all future landowners, ensuring that the land is protected forever. It is the most effective tool for conserving Ontario’s rich agricultural soils, as well as natural features such as the forests and wetlands that many species at risk call home.
Required Experience, Skills & Attributes
- 7 – 9 years of progressive leadership and management experience in a non-profit, organization or equivalent
- An excellent mentor
- Experience with strategic planning and program execution. Ability to determine strategies to move the organization forward, set practical goals, create and implement action plans, and continually evaluate the process and results
- Strong communication skills (written and public speaking). As the face of OFT, is a strong spokesperson for a variety of key stakeholders including the board, government, and print media
- Board governance or interacting with a non-profit board
- A strong relationship builder with the ability to relate to the farming community. Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with others
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to manage tight deadlines and competing priorities. Ability to set priorities, develop work schedules, monitor progress towards goals, and track important data, information and activities for success and for reporting
- Knowledge of human resources policy, team management practices, financial administration standards and risk management principles
- Ability to assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the interests of the organization
- Strong financial acumen
- Knowledge of applicable Federal and Provincial legislation relating to charities
- Knowledgeable about agriculture, farmland protection and land conservation. Understanding of land trusts in Ontario
- Familiarity with the Canadian Land Trust Standards & Practices
- Experience with print media
- Living in commutable distance to Guelph an asset
- A relevant undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
Working and Environmental Conditions
- Requires working extended days and weeks including attendance at conferences, meetings, or workshops which may be held after normal working hours or in out-of-town locations
- Ability to travel at least once/month. Requires access to vehicle to travel throughout the province to farms
- May require extended periods of time sitting, standing while presenting materials. Full or substantial capability to see, to hear and to be mobile required for the interim period
- Requires on-site visits to farms and rigorous walking through farm fields
- $80,000 – $100,000 commensurate with experience
This search is being conducted on behalf of Ontario Farmland Trust by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders for Canada’s non-profit sector. If someone you know may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this document – we would be pleased to connect with them.
To submit your application by March 21, 2022, please visit: http://crawfordconnect.com/for-candidates/job-openings/
Select the role and ‘Apply’ to upload your cover letter and resume in two separate documents. Issues with applying? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about the position? Contact Ann Armstrong at email@example.com or 647.261.3566 / 1.866.647.5149.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest online in confidence. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.