Major Gifts Officer
Major Gifts Officer
The Mississauga Food Bank’s (TMFB) vision is a Mississauga where no one goes hungry. We relieve hunger by providing and promoting access to healthy and appropriate food.
- Establish, design, and execute a major donor program (gifts of $5,000 or more), including legacy giving, that will annually raise $2,000,000 by 2027
- Develop and implement strategies for identifying major gifts prospects, cultivating donors and prospects, and maximizing gifts
- Design a best-in-class stewardship program to maximize the donor experience and encourage ongoing engagement as well as transformational giving
Why Work for Us?
- Be proud of helping to relieve hunger in Mississauga by providing and promoting access to healthy and appropriate food. Join a culture where people laugh a lot, pitch in during those “all-hands-on-deck” times, and enjoy celebrating together. We work hard to live our values of Community, Collaboration, Excellence, and Integrity
- Fair benefits and compensation include:
- Starting salary of $75,000 – $85,000. Salaries are compared to the market every 2 years, we offer annual cost-of-living increases, plus the opportunity for performance-based increases
- Benefits and perks that include comprehensive health benefits for you and your dependents (100% employer paid, no deductibles for drugs, dental, or vision), matched group RRSP (up to 5% of salary), and mobile phone reimbursement
- 3 weeks of paid vacation that increases after 2 years of service, plus 12 paid sick and wellness days
- Free parking, funding for professional development, equitable and culturally diverse work environment, and all the tea and coffee you can drink!
- We’re a proud recipient of the 2020 Not for Profit of the Year Award from the Mississauga Board of Trade and a certified Living Wage employer
What You’ll Do
Design and Lead the Implementation of a Major Gift Program (40%)
- Drive the acquisition, engagement, management, and retention of TMFB’s major donors
- Develop policies and procedures relating to the major gifts program
- Create major donor plans to achieve financial goals established by TMFB
- Establish performance metrics for major gifts program (including those other than financial), monitor results, and evaluate effectiveness; create standardized reports (in consultation with the Director of Development); propose course correction when and as needed
- Define a sustainable major donor journey, and create the mechanism for monitoring and tracking. Record all moves management in CRM (Raiser’s Edge) and provide recommendations for TMFB to follow best practices on major donor data collection and use
- Work collaboratively to build a ‘culture of philanthropy within the TMFB organization, inviting relevant staff such as the Director of Development and/or CEO to participate in qualification, cultivation, solicitation, or stewardship activities as appropriate
- Work in partnership with the Individual Giving Officer in the identification of major gift prospects
Major gifts Solicitation (30%)
- Personally solicit major gifts and sponsorships and carry a significant portfolio of donors
- Manage relationships with prospective donors and will be expected to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward current Major Gift donors
- Develop and craft strategic proposals based on short and long-term funding goals of the organization
Major Donor Stewardship (15%)
- Develop and execute a stewardship journey to engage major donors and bequests including events, personalized communications, collateral, and other content
- Develop and implement stewardship plans for each major gift donor
- Collaborate with TMFB leadership and staff on necessary and useful major donor communications, and major donor sensitivity in TMFB communications
- Maintain records in the donor database (Raiser’s Edge) related to your portfolio. Enter contact reports and ensure the next steps are scheduled. Update the prospect tab with proposal information. Run queries/reports as needed
- Create reports that reflect portfolio activity and progress toward achieving goals
- Other duties as required and assigned
Experience You’ll Bring
- Minimum of 3 years of fundraising experience with a focus on working with individual donors. Demonstrated success in raising gifts of $5,000 or more from individual donors is a strong asset.
- College diploma, university degree, or equivalent professional experience in a relevant field
- Proven success in leadership and major gifts, moves management and asks, assessing capacity through prospect research, and managing donor relations.
- Demonstrated experience with customer management systems (preferably Raiser’s Edge) or other moves-management systems
Skills, Competencies, and Qualities You Bring
- Passion. A passion for mission-driven work and personal values aligned with those of TMFB. Concern for and interest in issues of poverty, food security, and/or social justice
- Communication. Speak, listen, and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough, and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques. A strong storyteller with exceptional writing skills
- Relationship Building. Internal and external relationship-building skills. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with staff, volunteers, and other relevant stakeholders. Working independently and collaboratively with team members to foster strong relationships with donors
- Planning/Organization/Project Management. Manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently, with superior organizational skills and an ability to work under deadlines. Determine strategies to move projects forward, set goals and priorities, create/implement action plans/budgets, document, evaluate, and learn. Committed to performance standards and ongoing improvement
- Evidence-Based Decision Making/Data Analysis. Draw insightful conclusions from the information. Create plans that are informed by research, data, and experience. Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency, and risks, and make clear decisions that are timely and in the best interests of TMFB
- Detail-Oriented. Conscientiousness and high attention to detail, and understanding make the difference between mediocre and excellent donor service.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited about work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to complete work. Ability to work autonomously while being aware of the importance of accountability. Results-focused
- Flexibility/Adaptability. Flexible, versatile, and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change
- Technical. Computer proficiency with strong skills in MS Office and/or Google Suite for business; experience with CRM software. TMFB is a cloud-based, paperless environment
Scope: Annual, monthly, middle and major individual donors donate $3M+ annually. The objective is to grow a major giving program that generates $2M annually by 2027.
Relationships: This position reports to the Director of Development, is a member of the Development Team, and works closely with the Individual Giving Officer. Outside the organization, the position liaises with donors.
Position Type: Full-time. Due to the nature of the role, some evening and weekend work is required.
Hours: Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday 9 am to 5 pm. Wednesday 9 am to 8 pm. Friday 9 am to 1 pm.
Location: 3121 Universal Drive, Mississauga. Moving to 4544 Eastgate Pkwy in Spring 2023
Environment: Staff work on a hybrid remote/in-office schedule with a minimum of 2 days/week in the office. All staff are required to be fully vaccinated against the Covid-19 virus.
As part of its commitment to racial justice and reconciliation, TMFB encourages applications from those who identify as Black, Indigenous, People of Colour, and other under-represented communities. We welcome applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please apply via the following link: BambooHR