Senior Development Officer
We Need the Ocean, the Ocean Needs Us!
From humble beginnings in Vancouver and with over 60 years of conservation success, Ocean Wise has emerged from the pandemic with a refreshed purpose, a new look and a clear direction. Our mission is to build a global community that takes meaningful action to protect and restore our ocean. Our 2030 conservation strategy, A Decade to Turn the Tide, focuses on actions that address our ocean’s greatest challenges – climate change, overfishing and pollution.
As part of our plan for growth and impact, Ocean Wise is transforming its fundraising programs. With the full support of our Board and Executive and the appointment of a new Global Vice President of Development, resources have been committed to bring to life an ambitious fundraising strategy that includes the establishment of fundraising centers across Canada, US and Europe. We are looking for development professionals to be part of this transformation.
Ocean Wise’s global headquarters is located in Vancouver, British Columbia. The preferred location for this position is the Greater Toronto Area.
The Senior Development Officer will manage a portfolio of 80-100 potential and current donors and corporate sponsors. They will work in collaboration with Ocean Wise conservation staff to deliver appropriate sponsor activations and donor stewardship activities. This new position will work closely with members of the Development and Business Development teams to maximize revenues.
The ideal candidate is a builder and an innovative collaborator who will help deliver on an ambitious major gifts and sponsorship program that will contribute to Ocean Wise achieving $25 million in revenues by 2025. The candidate has experience in negotiating and creating inspired donor experiences, impactful corporate partnerships, and is committed to building successful relationships. They model collaboration, integrity, creative thinking, and a solutions-oriented approach.
- Develop and implement personalized cultivation and solicitation plans for prospective major gift donors and corporate sponsors
- Engage in face-to-face meetings and personalized contact activities
- Ensure that donors receive impeccable and personalized stewardship, through tailored correspondence, reports, and updates in a timely and professional manner
- Satisfy sponsorship commitments in collaboration with other teams, delivering excellent experiences throughout the sponsorship in line with Ocean Wise values
- Prepare and coordinate materials such as proposals, briefing notes, presentations, call reports, letters, and other documents/materials
- Maintain and properly record information about prospects, donors, and sponsors, utilizing centralized electronic system and database
- Track benchmarks and deliver on goals quarterly and annually.
Support an integrated approach to fundraising
- Develop strategies in collaboration with members of the development team to deepen relationships with its donor and sponsor communities
- Engage conservation teams to identify prospective donors and sponsors, working collaboratively with Business Development to maximize revenues from corporate supporters
- Take the lead in developing major gift cultivation/stewardship events or initiatives, working in collaboration with other development staff
- Participating in regular portfolio reviews to ensure that relationships are advancing, and donor development activities are on track
Promote a culture of philanthropy at Ocean Wise
- Involve the appropriate Ocean Wise program staff or senior leaders in developing and deepening relationships with donors, sponsors, and prospects
- Actively identify and assist in the recruitment of senior volunteers who can elevate fundraising results for Ocean Wise
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary education or equivalent experience. Further professional development training and experience an asset
- 5-7 years of experience in corporate sponsorship, major gift fundraising or a related field
- Proven success in securing and managing 6-figure sponsorships or major gifts
- Experience and comfortable working with senior business and community leaders, leading philanthropists
- Experience working with a diverse array of stakeholders
- CFRE designation will be considered an asset
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to multitask and strong time management skills
- Resourceful and independent, but comfortable working with the framework of an integrated development program and team-oriented environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of products, Salesforce or similar databases
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends on occasion and some travel may be required
Inclusion and Diversity: Ocean Wise is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We are a company where diverse backgrounds, experiences and viewpoints are valued. Ocean Wise does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, age, ethnic or national origin.