Senior Vice-President, Community Giving & Engagement
We are seeking a Senior Vice President, Community Giving & Engagement (SVP) to lead and oversee the business objectives and teams responsible for Marketing, Communication & Brand Engagement, Annual Giving, Fundraising Events. The revenue responsibility for this portfolio is $16M+, and the collective team is approximately 25 individuals.
The SVP will take overall responsibility for developing, leading, and successfully implementing strategies that grow revenue in all of these portfolios, with a focus on revenue diversification and long-term sustainability through growth of donor numbers and through the deepening of donor engagement with and commitment to our Foundation. The SVP will position the organization’s mission, vision and values with key partners within medical leadership, donors, volunteers and the public, ably conveying all priorities for philanthropic and community support.
As a collaborative, innovative and purpose-driven senior leader, the SVP will be a change-maker who sees opportunities and potential, both in programs and in people. By inspiring, leading and integrating the teams focussed on Community Giving & Engagement, and working collaborative across the organization, the SVP will contribute to the Foundation’s growth, success, and positive culture.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Senior Vice President, Community Giving & Engagement will be a high-functioning member of the Leadership Team, contributing to the overall strategic direction of the organization, ensuring philanthropy is embedded into the decision-making culture, and deputizing for the President & CEO as and when required.
ABOUT VGH & UBC HOSPITAL FOUNDATION
VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation is Vancouver Coastal Health’s primary philanthropic partner, raising funds for specialized adult health services and research for all British Columbians. Consequently, we are the philanthropic engine for health care innovation and transformation in British Columbia. Our hospitals and health care centres are able to deliver the best possible patient care because of your support. By recruiting world-class medical professionals and equipping them with the tools and technology to do their best work we are improving the health of our communities and saving lives across the province
The foundation collaborates with donors to drive innovation and sustainable health care at:
- VGH & UBC Hospital
- GF Strong Rehab Centre
- Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute
- Vancouver Community Health Services
Our team of almost 100 staff collaborates with VCH leadership, medical and administrative staff to raise philanthropic funds and awareness. Together with our donors and supporters and volunteers, we have made a direct and significant impact on health care in our province. Our 2022-23 consolidated revenue, including lotteries and investments, totalled $115.9 million. We are proud to report that in 2022-23 the Foundation’s cost per dollar raised was 19 cents (excluding lottery & real estate-related revenue & expenses).
VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation is accredited by Imagine Canada for excellence in nonprofit accountability, transparency and governance.
- Works closely with other members of the Executive Leadership Team to develop an organizational strategy that maximizes community giving revenues across all areas (Annual Giving, Event Fundraising and Lottery) and enables the organization to fulfil its ambitions.
- Develops and leads the organization’s Community Giving & Engagement strategies and activities to drive revenue and reputational growth.
- Ensures the Community Giving & Engagement teams are structured, resourced and managed to deliver on an integrated strategy, and that processes are in place in the rest of the organization to support implementation.
- Ensures that marketing and brand awareness strategies are operationalized to attract new donors and retain past donors, building a strong base of support in the communities that our health beneficiaries serve.
- Works collaboratively with senior colleagues across the organization to ensure that the work of Community Giving & Engagement is fully integrated and supports the delivery of the organization’s overall objectives.
- Engages collaboratively and effectively with other members of the Executive Leadership Team and Board of Directors to regularly review Community Giving & Engagement revenue performance, brand awareness and engagement targets, including leading presentation, discussion and agreement of any adjustments to plans and strategies required to maximize success.
- Establishes, develops and manages relationships with a network of fundraising volunteers to ensure their knowledge, skills, contacts and expertise are leveraged effectively.
- Works closely and productively with Vancouver Coastal Health stakeholders, external suppliers and government contacts to ensure effective and productive relationships that benefit the organization and its mission.
- Builds, inspires and leads high-performing teams and manages direct report/s to ensure they deliver effectively and efficiently to agreed individual and team targets, maintaining a holistic perspective of the giving potential of donors and sponsors.
- Delivers and ensures good management practice throughout Community Giving & Engagement, including effective staff planning, recruitment, goal setting, assessment of training and development requirements, coaching and performance management.
- Leads by example to achieve a positive culture of working within the team and wider organization.
- Monitors and evaluates fundraising initiatives to ensure income and donor generation is efficient and effective, including setting and managing success metrics for needle-moving key performance indicators.
- Establishes and oversees management of budgets for Community Giving & Engagement.
- Oversees the development of robust departmental policies, procedures and systems, and ensures fundraising best practice is observed.
- Actively contributes to the continued implementation of the Salesforce Customer Relationship Management solution, working with colleagues and direct reports to ensure strategic data is captured and updated to enable ongoing data analysis to inform strategic decision making.
Occupational and Organizational Knowledge
- Enhances Community Giving & Engagement revenue generation by developing and establishing strategies to meet and exceed revenue and donor targets.
- Oversees and ensures the delivery of targets in a timely manner for each income stream within Community Giving & Engagement.
- Oversees the development, delivery and achievement of targets and performance measures for the marketing & communications functions in support of the Foundation’s funding and donor objectives.
- Analyses, interprets and evaluates data related to Community Giving & Engagement. Ideates and explores new areas and strategies to diversify revenue sources and grow donor numbers.
- Ensures all activities undertaken by Community Giving & Engagement are compliant with statutory regulation, that philanthropic and corporate partnerships do not carry financial or reputational risk to the organization and that all senior colleagues are aware of their duties in fulfilling the requirements of donors/sponsors.
- Remains up to date on current best practice in the non-profit sector, particularly as it relates and tax law affecting annual charitable giving.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- 15+ years of professional not-for-profit sector experience, including at least 5 years at senior management level working in a similar or related role. Relevant experience from other industries will be considered.
- University graduation in a relevant discipline or equivalent.
- Experience overseeing Community / Annual Giving programs (direct marketing, online giving/digital marketing, monthly giving, tribute giving, employee giving, and mid-level giving) and Fundraising Events (signature events and independent community events).
- Strong understanding of equity, diversity, and inclusion principles, and how these are integrated into fundraising, marketing communications, and community engagement.
- Experience working with Chinese and or Asian programs an asset.
- Experience in leading marketing and communications planning and overseeing management, including digital and online marketing, social media, advertising, and public & media relations.
- Experience in tendering for and overseeing large contracts and supplier/vendor relationships. Proven ability to manage timelines, contracts and supplier relationships to deliver results on time and within budget.
- Current knowledge of best practices in fundraising and not-for-profit management.
- Familiarity with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), privacy, Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) and other regulations related to giving. Familiarity with lotteries fundraising and gaming regulations, would be an asset.
Skills & Abilities
- Critical thinking and complex problem solving skills; ability to absorb and synthesise complex information.
- Ability to identify, develop, evaluate and lead implementation of organizational strategies across disciplines.
- Proven ability to compile and analyze performance data to develop metrics that support decision-making for resource allocation and campaigns.
- Highly developed interpersonal and relationship skills, including effective persuasion and negotiation skills. Ability to build strong relationships with a range of people, including at the most senior level.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in people leadership and coaching skills, including setting and evaluating performance, identifying learning and development opportunities. Demonstrated track record building effective teams, networks or communities of practice and fosters constructive cross-team collaboration.
- Identifies innovative solutions to problems to bring a wider benefit to the organization.
- Strong project management and performance measurement skills. Superior business writing and creative copywriting skills.
- Proven ability to exercise a high degree of diplomacy and discretion.
APPLICATION PROCESS & DEADLINE
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation. For more information about this exciting opportunity, contact Tara George, Partner by email at VGHUBC@kcitalent.com.
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. To apply, please send a resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by September 13, 2023.
To view full executive brief, please visit www.kcitalent.com
The target hiring range for this position is between $207,720 – $237,226 plus a bonus. Additional variable pay, benefits, pension, flexible working arrangements, investment in professional development and subsidized access to fitness, cycling and parking facilities all contribute to a top-notch total rewards package for employees.
We recognize that our places of work are on the traditional homelands of the Coast Salish People – the Musqueam, Squamish, and, Tsleil-Waututh Nations.
Our Foundation encourages applications from Indigenous people, people with disabilities, BIPOC and racialized individuals, people of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, and others who may contribute to the Foundation’s organizational diversity and who share the Foundation’s values.
As part of VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation’s commitment to the health and safety of our community,
Including our healthcare partners and donors, the Foundation requires all employees of the Foundation to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.