The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) represents 30,000 members in over 200 chapters in Canada, the United States, Mexico, and China working to advance philanthropy through advocacy, research, education, and certification programs.
AFP believes that to guarantee human freedom and social creativity, people must have the right to freely and voluntarily form organizations to meet perceived needs, advocate causes, and seek funds to support these activities. To guarantee these rights, AFP’s purposes are to:
- Foster development and growth of fundraising professionals committed to the preserving and enhancing philanthropy.
- Establish a code of ethics and professional practices.
- Require member adherence to a professional code of ethical standards and practices.
- Provide training opportunities for fundraising professionals.
- Implement programs that ensure cultural and social diversity in our membership and leadership.
- Collect, research, publish, and disseminate historical, managerial, and technical information on philanthropy and philanthropic fundraising.
- Promote public understanding of philanthropy and philanthropic fundraising.
- Conduct activities that maintain and develop legislation favorable to philanthropy.
- Enlist, organize, and support members to achieve our purposes.
- Foster international cooperation, knowledge exchange, and education among fundraising professionals worldwide.
- Use all necessary and proper means to accomplish our purposes.
- Provide a valid and reliable certification program for fundraising professionals.
Diversity is a mosaic of people who bring a variety of backgrounds, styles, perspectives, cognitive abilities, beliefs, and cultures as assets to the organizations with which they interact. The mosaic includes differences in race, national or ethnic origins, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic status, age, language, mental ability, and physical ability. These differences are acknowledged, celebrated and respected by the AFP Greater Toronto Chapter and its members, for inclusion and equity within the association.