Development Officer, Major Gifts
Development Officer, Major Gifts
Appointment Type: Full time, Permanent
Classification & Hiring Range: Administrative: 9N: Hiring Range: $ 58,875 – $69,263. Commensurate with experience.
Reports to: Associate Director, Philanthropy
Trinity College is a vibrant and diverse academic community with a rich history and excellent local and international reputation. Since its founding in 1851, the College has valued and fostered a high level of academic achievement with some 2,000 currently registered students, 450 of whom live at the College. Trinity College grounds comprise spectacular historic buildings, and the College is among the smallest and most prestigious colleges on the St. George Campus of the University of Toronto. Trinity’s campus currently consists of four main buildings and is located in the central Toronto downtown core, steps from the Bloor-St. George subway and Queen’s Park.
We’re growing our team at a very exciting time for Trinity College. The Living Trinity Campaign (https://livingtrinity.ca) offers an unprecedented opportunity to develop and strengthen relationships with new and existing donors. With construction starting in February 2022 on the Lawson Centre for Sustainability, Trinity’s new residence and academic building, this is an opportune time to join a dynamic and collaborative team of staff and volunteers as we work to maximize revenues across our development programs.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Philanthropy the Development Officer, Major Gifts is responsible for the execution of activities related to the success and growth of revenue-generating development programs. With a donor-centered approach to portfolio management, the Development Officer will focus on program activity in major gifts and gift planning, developing a donor pipeline from identification through to solicitation and stewardship.
While working independently with a portfolio of prospects, the Development Officer, Major Gifts will work closely with other members of the Development & Alumni Affairs team to confirm gifts in support of Trinity College and the $40 million Living Trinity Campaign. The Development Officer, Major Gifts will implement and execute stewardship strategies to maintain involvement, interest and support of major gift donors ($25,000 and above). The incumbent will help to sustain and deepen prospective and current donors’ interest and commitment to the College by providing support in areas such as event planning, prospect research and financial reporting.
Key responsibilities (but not limited to):
- Personally manage a portfolio of approximately 75-100 major gift and gift planning prospects ($25,000 and above) with targets for meetings and solicitation activity.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors in collaboration with the Development team, senior faculty and leadership volunteers.
- Draft briefing documents, solicitation plans and call reports to track donor interaction and tracks solicitation plans on UofT’s CRM database.
- Draft donor proposals and case documents for use with volunteers and prospects.
- Responsible for developing strategies to steward major gift donors ($25,000 and above) on an individual basis: this will include working with the Development team to produce tailored reports to new and renewing donors, reporting on named endowment funds, drafting thank you letters and other donor specific communications and organizing stewardship meetings with leadership volunteers and staff.
- Participate in major and planned giving prospect management meetings to help manage prospects and prospect clearance and to develop tailored cultivation plans.
- Provide support to the Living Trinity Campaign Cabinet, the Development Committee, and other volunteer committees, preparing meeting materials and reports throughout the year.
- Participate in all meetings of volunteer committees as required; attends development events involving donors, prospects and the wider alumni community.
- Collaborate with team members to develop and plan events that involve donors to Trinity College. This will include leadership, major gift and gift planning donors as well as alumni and friends of the College.
- University degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of fundraising experience with a proven track record of success. Familiarity with university/higher education policies, structure and systems is an asset.
- Demonstrated major gift development experience (gifts of $25,000 and above).
- Experience working with senior level volunteers.
- Highly developed computer skills working with MS Office; databases; and content management systems.
- Ability to work in a fast paced and results oriented environment.
- Proven ability to motivate others, i.e. volunteers, team members, donors.
- Strong team player who values collaboration.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, relationship building and planning skills; attention to detail, strong communications and interpersonal skills; understanding of and commitment to diversity; tact and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated ability to operate effectively in complex multi-stakeholder environments.
Submit resume and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org Only applications with both cover letters and resumes and submitted via email will be considered. Please indicate where you saw the posting in your application letter.
Applications will be accepted to: March 7, 2022 at 4:00 p.m.
Trinity College is a federated university in the University of Toronto and offers excellent employment opportunities with exceptional benefits. The College is a culturally diverse community that sustains a tradition of academic excellence and provides a vibrant and welcoming community of students, faculty, alumni and staff.
Trinity College is committed to Employment Equity and Diversity based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity. If you need this job posting in an alternative format or if you require accommodation measures, please contact us at email@example.com and we will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.