Director of Finance
Huntsville Hospital Foundation is part of a multi-site healthcare system – Muskoka Algonquin Healthcare (MAHC). MAHC is a multi-site healthcare organization accredited with exemplary standing that provides acute care services at Huntsville Memorial Hospital and South Muskoka Hospital in Bracebridge. MAHC’s vision to reimagine local hospital care with two new hospitals in Muskoka is moving closer to reality. In April 2022, the Ford government announced support for MAHC to move ahead with the next stage of planning for two new hospitals: a new hospital on the existing land in Huntsville, and a new hospital at a new location in Bracebridge.
Huntsville Hospital Foundation currently seeks a Director of Finance that is a committed and performance oriented professional to provide support in our fundraising initiatives, and the building of the new hospital. Huntsville Hospital Foundation is a great place to work and Muskoka is a great place to live! You will enjoy a bright, creative environment and a team of professionals who are caring and cohesive. Each day is different and the challenges great and small. We hire talented, motivated people allowing the freedom to create, improve and excel. Our team is growing — maybe you could join us?
The mission of Huntsville Hospital Foundation is to inspire giving that will, in turn, inspire and sustain great local healthcare, when it’s needed most. The need for advances in healthcare, diagnosis and treatment never ends. Our goal is to raise funds to acquire new technology and equipment that is not covered by government funding. As a collective, we work in partnership with the hospital and our donors to collaboratively raise funds to help acquire and replace new equipment and technology upgrades to care for our community.
Huntsville Hospital Foundation offers competitive salaries. Interested applicants are to submit their cover letter and resume by October 13, 2023. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Our organization supports equal opportunity employment. We are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code. Applicants need to make any accommodation requests for the interview or selection process known in advance by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. We will work together with the hiring committee to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation for the selection process which will enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
Imagine working in a place you love to visit on vacation! A career here lets you do just that. We are located in one of the top international tourist destinations in Canada; positioned just two (2) hours north of Toronto in beautiful cottage country surrounded by vibrant natural beauty, pristine lakes, majestic forests and rocky shorelines.
Our communities are small in size but big in excitement; there are always local fundraisers, farmers markets, live events, pubs and locally owned stores to shop in. There are a variety of seasonal, year-round activities to keep you busy and fully embraced in the lifestyle that Muskoka has to offer from hiking, fishing, snowshoeing, downhill skiing, heading to Algonquin Park or Arrowhead Park for the day, running and cycling clubs, camping, sitting on a warm sunny patio downtown, or simply relaxing by the lake with your friends. Life here is good! Let us help you make your move!
Director of Finance
The Director of Finance is responsible for the planning, controlling, reporting and measuring of all financial information and assets of the Huntsville Hospital Foundation (HHF) in-line with the organization’s strategic plan and in support of Muskoka Algonquin Healthcare’s (MAHC) capital needs.
This role will have overall responsibility for the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, management reporting and other ad-hoc report creation in support of the organization’s Strategic Plan. The Director of Finance will report and work closely with the HHF CEO, Audit/Risk Committee and the Board of Directors to ensure all financial policies, controls and processes are successfully implemented and adhered to. This role will serve as the conduit of all financial performance measurement to the organization’s stakeholders and as such will be expected to operate the finance functions with a hands-on, collaborative mindset.
The Director of Finance will ensure that all reporting and business practices adhere to Canadian GAAP for not-for-profit entities and with CRA guidelines for registered charities.
- Preparation, maintenance and presentation of annual budgets and period forecasts, in collaboration with HHF staff
- Preparation and maintenance of monthly financial statements including all necessary continuity schedules
- Presentation of financial results to the Audit/Risk Committee and the Board of Directors
- Develop a culture of financial accountability and strategic, budget-conscious decision-making
- Making recommendations to the Audit/Risk Committee regarding policies, reporting, Chart of Account design and any other suggestions to improve the effectiveness of the organization and its reporting
- Oversee and assist (where needed) in the posting of revenues, expenses, journal entries and/or periodic reconciliations
- Implement processes that align with the financial policies and controls to ensure adherence and consistency across all finance tasks
- Oversee HHF compensation structure, payroll, benefits and defined contribution plan
- Manage relationships with external parties such as banks, investment advisors, legal counsel, auditors, consultants and other suppliers
- Responsible for compliance with CRA guidelines on all tax and reporting matters including the preparation of T3010 charity returns and any other necessary government remittances
- Manage contracts and corporate insurance policies with input from the CEO
- Oversight of estate giving documentation and transactions working with donors’ advisors when necessary
- Work closely with HHF CEO and MAHC Finance team for planning and transfer of donor funds to MAHC
- Management of endowment revenue, expenses, and disbursements in accordance with HHF policies
- Support major donor stewardship activities by providing automated and customized fund updates and information on revenue transfers, purchases, or other information to demonstrate donor impact
- Supervise and encourage development of the database/staff.
- College/University degree in business, accounting, mathematics or a related field
- CPA designation or commensurate work experience preferred
- 8+ years of progressive accounting experience, including experience leading a Finance team
- Demonstrated understanding of accounting principles for not-for-profits and fund accounting
- Demonstrated experience preparing full cycle financial statements and management reporting
- Experience reporting to a Board of Directors/Finance Committee would be an asset
- Experience with ERP system implementation would be an asset
- Experience working with not-for-profit entities
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders in a diverse, creative and results driven organization
- Highly analytical and attentive to detail with a strong sense of urgency and a progressive approach to technology adoption and process improvement
- Understand fund parameters and donor designation/restriction rules through fund accounting principals an asset
- Experience using customer relationship management systems such as Raisers Edge and Financial Edge an asset
Other preferred attributes
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written and a level of comfort in delivering (presenting) complex information to a group of diverse stakeholders
- Previous experience with or understanding of CRA guidelines for charities an asset
- Possess a positive energy, optimism and belief in HHF’s mission
- Outstanding communication skills, coupled with highly refined influencing and negotiation skills
- Excellent project management skills
Terms of Employment
Confidentiality and Discretion
The HHF is committed to protecting the privacy of all information that is acquired through the general operation of a healthcare fundraising organization. HHF does not trade, share or sell any personal information to third parties. All information remains confidential. All HHF employees are required to sign a confidentiality agreement.
Monday to Friday (37.5 hours per week). Some evening and weekend work may be required. Hybrid negotiable.
A competitive compensation package including base salary, benefits will be provided.
Compensation in the range of $95,000 – $110,000
HOOPP – Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan
Development, education and training opportunities are encouraged and supported by the HHF. These opportunities will be supported by the HHF based on budget, availability, and convenience of attendance.