Manager, Donor Relations & Stewardship
Manager, Donor Relations & Stewardship
Employment Terms: Full-Time, 9-Month Contract
Start Date: September 2023
With a commitment to equity and fairness, students learn that what makes us different as individuals makes us stronger as a community. A rigorous academic program is supported by accomplished faculty, exceptional co-curricular programming, and state-of-the-art facilities. The UCC experience is underpinned by five core values: learning, pluralism, service, community, and wellbeing. Among its strategic goals is UCC’s ambition to become more diverse and inclusive. This is supported by a recognition that no learning community is whole without the inclusion and amplification of multiple voices; UCC is committed to fostering belonging, striving for justice and peace among all people, and addressing systemic and structural forms of oppression.
In this role you will support the donor engagement activities of the College with particular lead responsibility for developing donor recognition opportunities and strategies that contribute to the successful solicitation of major gifts, and lead responsibility for effective donor reporting and stewardship strategies that meet our reporting commitments and develop sustained and meaningful engagement with donors in the mission of the College.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Donor Solicitation, Recognition and Stewardship Strategy
- Lead the strategic identification and development of donor recognition opportunities, including facilities namings, program namings, fund namings, donor walls, and other opportunities, ensuring internal alignment, equity and appropriateness while strengthening the culture of philanthropy at UCC and enhancing fundraising opportunities;
- Lead the creation and maintenance of an up-to-date accounting of naming/recognition opportunities (available and secured) and gift thresholds;
- Contribute strategy and writing to the development of effective major gift proposals that support the successful solicitation and stewardship of major gifts;
- Develop, oversee, track and report on donor stewardship plans, individually and in aggregate, to ensure the College is appropriately stewarding and reporting on gifts;
- Develop and maintain gift acknowledgement and naming policies for all gifts to the College, and support policy adherence by Board and staff.
Donor Recognition, Communication and Stewardship:
- Design and deliver impactful donor stewardship, cultivation and campaign reports and experiences through multiple channels (print, digital, etc.);
- Lead the collaboration with faculty, leadership, volunteers, donors and students to ensure appropriate spending of donor funds, collection of data and information on fund uses, and the creation of annual reports on donor directed funds (such as special purpose funds or named scholarships) that meet the obligations for donor reporting;
- Work collaboratively with the Director, Advancement Operations, the Associate Director, Annual Giving, and the Marketing and Communications team to develop timely and impactful donor retention mailings and digital communications;
- Work with the Director, Advancement Operations to enhance the use of data and technology in effective donor relations;
- Oversee the creation and dissemination of all annual impact and stewardship reports, including the annual Giving Report in collaboration with the Marketing and Communications team;
- Collaborates with the Executive Director, Communications and other members of the Advancement team to develop donor communications, including reports and articles;
- Ensure donor relations and stewardship activity is accurately reported in Raiser’s Edge;
- Manage donor-related programs and events as required (eg. Lang scholar program, SJCS dinner etc.) with the collaboration and support of the Community Relations team;
- Support the Upper Canada College Foundation in its annual reporting and maintains a line-of-sight into the strategy and operations of the Foundation;
- Establish and maintain the data with respect to named funds and donor recognition;
- Establish, implement and monitor a policy and procedure for donor recognition, including donor naming protocols, donor loyalty programs, and other forms of donor recognition, to ensure appropriate and consistent recognition;
- Develop and execute annual recognition plans of recognition societies/levels, including events, token gifts, reports, and other recognition.
Knowledge, Competencies and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in marketing, communications or related field; and at least five to seven years of relevant experience;
- Experience working with donors/in a not-for-profit is required;
- Experience with spreadsheets/financial software an asset;
- Knowledge of principles and methodologies for effective donor recognition and donor maintenance;
- Knowledge of communications principles and best practices for donor communications and outreach, including regular reports and or articles/newsletters;
- Knowledge of school/college fundraising directions and priorities;
- Understanding of the principles and techniques of fundraising;
- Knowledge of event management;
- Ability to conceptualize new or revised ways of recognizing donors;
- Ability to obtain and assess feedback to events and communications, to determine areas requiring change;
- Ability to connect and establish ongoing relationships with students, parents, alumni, current donors, and potential donors;
- Ability to collaborate with advancement staff in delivering and/or supporting events.
If you have the majority of the qualifications we’re looking for, we encourage you to express your interest by submitting your application.
What we Offer:
- Opportunities for professional development to support life-long learning of skills and knowledge;
- Floating holidays that recognizes our employees diverse religious and cultural practices; offers three paid floating holidays per year instead of three statutory public holidays of their choosing.
- Excellent mental health, medical and dental benefit plans (including Health Care and Lifestyle Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance programme and onsite wellbeing programming;
- Paid volunteer time off to become involved in you’re communities, lending voluntary support to programs
- Ongoing community events and employee social events throughout the academic year;
- Fabulous collaborative team members and colleagues;
- Generous pension / retirement plan and paid time off plans: vacation / holidays, personal emergency leave, personal leave, parental leave top-up and flexible self-funded leaves;
- Free on campus parking;
- Opportunity for casual dress days.
UCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity, encouraging applications from all qualified individuals and welcoming applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ persons. UCC embraces pluralism – celebrating differences, cherishing similarities, and giving voice to multiple perspectives. If you are contacted regarding a UCC opportunity, please advise if you require any accommodations.
Please apply online by creating a “Professional/Management” profile account by August 31, 2023. We thank all candidates in advance; however, we will contact only those selected for an interview.
To learn more about us please visit our site at www.ucc.on.ca