Manager, Major Gifts
Title: Manager, Major Gifts
Employee Working Location: Remote / Virtual (Ontario)
Employment status: Permanent, full-time
Salary band: $70,691 – $88,364 per year
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC) – one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet and an awardee on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022 – is seeking a Manager, Major Gifts in Ontario to join our team.
We are guided by our Fundamental Principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons who share our values and want to contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace to apply.
The incumbent will Manage a portfolio of individuals and family foundation donors and prospects that have the capacity to support the Red Cross at a major gift level. This role builds on the foundation of an excellent stewardship program, and we’re looking for someone to focus on new business and growth of the Ontario portfolio in the next 12-24 months, especially focused on $100k+ gifts. The CRC’s Major Gifts team is a growth focused, collaborative national team, and we’re looking for a highly skilled major gifts manager to join the team. We value growth and development, with an annual workshop based on growing our collective strength and skillsets, along with regular opportunities for learning and growth throughout the year.
In this role, you will three fields of responsibility:
Responsibility 1 – Major Gifts Donor Management
- Manage a portfolio of individuals and family foundation donors and prospects.
- Leadership and execution of fundraising relationships with individuals and family foundations.
- Develop and executes annual strategy to enhance relationship building in Ontario for Major Gifts, liaising with the other fundraising departments to ensure cross-channel innovation and opportunities which serve the donor base best.
- Work with external leadership volunteers to identify, steward, cultivate donors and prospects.
- Cultivate relationships and moves donor through all stages of the donor cycle – with a particular focus on creating new relationships within the Ontario market.
- Create individual donor plans and associated strategies – tracking these in the database (Blackbaud).
- Work with senior leadership on key donor strategies and uses their support in larger or more complicated solicitations which require leadership solicitors.
- Work closely with Prospect Research and Major Gift Philanthropy team to identify prospects through activities such as database scanning and prospect identification.
Responsibility 2 – Financial and Activity Reporting
- Contribute to the effectiveness of Major Gifts activity including regular monthly and quarterly reporting of key activity and financial indicators.
- Monitor progress of annual goals and adjusts as needed to ensure success and contribute to the development of annual operational and financial plans.
Responsibility 3 – Appeal Fundraising
- Support international and domestic disaster appeals.
- Manage communications with major donors during times of disasters to share information and gain support in a timely manner.
What we are looking for:
- 3 or more years of fundraising related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience, with preference given to a Major Gifts fundraising background.
- Self-directed, acts with a clear sense of ownership and take personal responsibility for decisions, actions, and failures.
- Ability to work within and meet deadlines in a face paced environment with conflicting priorities and ability to adapt to change.
- Knowledge of philanthropy practices and familiarity with donor-centred fundraising with a strong desire to improve donor experience.
- Experience and commitment to excellence in customer service in supporting partners, volunteers and donors.
- Excellent interpersonal skills demonstrating a collaborative approach with a willingness to engage constructively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to coordinate multiple projects within tightly prescribed timelines.
- Strong communication (written and oral), interpersonal and organizational skills.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, and experience with fundraising software, preferably Blackbaud Raisers Edge and/or CRM.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, national environment with multiple conflicting demands, ambiguity, adapt quickly in changing circumstances and is comfortable with “managing in the grey”.
- This is a full time, permanent position.
- Most of the work will be performed remotely.
- Current driver’s license and use of a car is required as regular travel in Ontario will be required.
- Occasional work of non-traditional hours will be needed for events, donor meetings and during emergency appeal times – time in lieu will be afforded in recognition of this.
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- If you are selected for this role, you will be required to complete a successful pre-employment screening process which includes a satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check (E-PIC).
- At this time, the CRC has temporarily suspended our Covid-19 vaccination policy and does not require but continues to strongly encourage full vaccination of all our personnel.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible – those who apply after the selection process has started may be held for a second review if needed OR reviewed for alternative roles. We appreciate the time and effort it takes to apply and thank you in advance.
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.