OFFICER, SIGNATURE EVENTS
Who we are:
Scarborough Health Network is a leading community teaching health network, consisting of three hospitals and eight satellite sites in Scarborough, one of the most diverse communities in Canada. Our Foundation works with generous donors, volunteers and community members to raise funds for state-of-the-art infrastructure and medical technology to support the hospital’s mission to improve lives through exceptional care.
SHN Foundation is raising the profile of our hospitals through the Love, Scarborough marketing and fundraising campaign. The extraordinary success of Love, Scarborough has helped generate mass awareness, has inspired transformational gifts, and has shone needed attention onto healthcare inequity and gaps in Scarborough. The Foundation has seen tremendous growth all around (staff, events, donations, media coverage, partnership, etc.). It’s an exciting time to join the organization as we continue to build upon this momentum!
Find out more about this compelling campaign by visiting www.lovescarborough.ca.
What you’ll be doing:
Are you an events professional who loves engaging donors, sponsors and volunteers in signature events and community fundraising initiatives?
SHN Foundation is seeking an enthusiastic professional to join our Community Development team in the role of Officer, Signature Events. This position requires strong fundraising, organization, and logistics skills but more importantly, the ability to build and develop relationships with the community we serve – from donors to community leaders, staff, and physicians to our volunteers. Our signature events support SHN Foundation’s goal to help raise awareness, share impact, strengthen our relationships across the Scarborough community all the while delivering significant undesignated revenue.
Reporting to the Manager, Signature Events, the Officer, Signature Events will be involved in the execution of SHN Foundation signature events. They will ensure events are successfully run by assisting with operational details, working with internal and external stakeholders, and leading our volunteer membership. The successful candidate must possess solid oral and written communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills and blend a combination of professionalism and passion. SHN Foundation signature events are designed to deliver significant undesignated revenue, have broad-based appeal, increase SHN profile in the community, attract new supporters and expand our corporate sponsorship offerings.
- Work with Community Development team on signature events such as SHN Zoo Day and SHN Golf Classic, as well as community events such as Fête Chinoise, that will generate over $1M in revenue annually, including sponsorship and stewardship.
- Engage in logistical planning and execution of events within the portfolio in partnership with internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain key relationships within the Scarborough community to ensure the success and growth of existing events.
- Work with the Vice President, Community Development & Partnership, the Manager, Signature Events, and stakeholders at all levels of the organization including Marketing & Communications, hospital staff, and senior leadership to help develop and share event content, including key messaging, fundraising toolkits, and event programming.
- In partnership with the Manager, Signature Events and Director, Stewardship & Donor Engagement, work on plans to meaningfully thank our event supporters including participants, sponsors, donors and vendors.
- Act as point of contact for our event participants, ensuring questions are answered in a timely fashion and that participants are provided with the proper tools and support to maximize their fundraising efforts.
- Conduct research of potential vendors, securing quotes and negotiating prices to ensure optimum service and strong working relationships with all partners.
- Secure insurance for venues and any additional licensing needs as required.
- Leverage SHN Foundation systems including Raiser’s Edge and AKA raisin to accurately track, pull and analyze reports to help inform our decision making, and update event microsites.
- Must be able to adapt to changing deadlines and readily able to prioritize competing issues and manage diverse projects at the same time.
- At the direction of the Vice President, Community Development & Partnership and the Manager, Signature Events, liaise, support, and steward our signature event sponsors, helping to ensure our corporate sponsorship targets and all sponsorship related deliverables are met.
- Determine roles, develop job descriptions, facilitate training, and be the main contact for event day volunteers
- Play key role on event days.
What you bring to the position:
- Post-secondary education, preferably in fundraising, events or a related field.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in a fundraising event role – sponsorship experience and experience within healthcare environment an asset
- Experience leading volunteers in an event environment.
- Demonstrates initiative and the ability to function collaboratively in a fast-paced environment across all Foundation departments
- Track record of achieving event-related fundraising targets.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge (CRM), AKA raisin (fundraising software), Asana (project management software) or similar systems.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- A great attitude and passion for the Scarborough community considered a must!
Your competencies include:
- A passion for events, the Scarborough communities as well as SHN Foundation’s mission considered a must.
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building skills with ability to cultivate effective professional networks and relationships with community members, groups and businesses.
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communications skills
- Superior planning, organization, and time management skills
- A blend of professionalism and passion.
- Valid G license and access to vehicle; Some travel to Scarborough and GTA required
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to carry, load and offload physical collaterals
What we have to offer:
When you work for SHN Foundation, you join a caring and collaborative team that is invested in both your success and career development. This is an exciting time to join a growing and meaningful organization, with ambitions to make the biggest impact yet to healthcare in Scarborough.
We offer an excellent package to employees, including a competitive salary and annual performance bonus, an industry-leading defined benefit pension plan through HOOPP, comprehensive benefits, and the opportunity to progress and build your career.
How to apply:
We would love you to join our team! To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume through our Careers page at https://www.shn.ca/careers-volunteering/careers/.
The job posting will close on January 8, 2024. Applicants may be screened throughout application period.
All applications will be held in strict confidence. We thank all applicants in advance.
Scarborough Health Network Foundation (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Job Number: J1122-0934
Job Title: Officer, Signature Events
Job Category: Foundation
Location: Centenary; travel is required to other sites, events, and meetings as necessary
Job Type: Full-time, permanent
Reports to: Manager, Signature Events
Number of Positions: 1
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Hours: Monday to Friday, with flexibility for evenings and weekends
Job Description Last Updated: November 1, 2023
Application Deadline: January 8, 2024; applicants may be screened throughout application period.